VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

hadit acronyms

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://community.hadit.com/topic/15978-acronyms-initialisms-and-abbreviations/

Someone asked today or yesterday and after I read the unread  post, it became read and not unread and I forget who asked and even what forum they asked in.

You would be surprised how much that happens to me.....duh!

I could sure understand this new member's confusion and he needs to know that ,

when we all started out in the VA claims process we were all FNGs, in the lingo and the entire claims process

OOOps another acronym...but I think we all know what that means.

The phone ran one day as my daughter was home on leave from the Mil and after I hung up she said ' Mom, I know you were talking about a VA claim with someone but practically everything you said was an acronym. A little while later I played back a radio show I did with Jerrel for her and that show was full of VA claims acronyms too.

Gee, we are technically all 'bilingual at some point.' I would have an  awful time trying to talk to someone about a claim without these  acronyms.

Thanks For the Post, I am a FNG too and have been trying to learn the lingo. This will help, but I did not see NEXUS on the list. Not exactly sure what this is or stands for, but I think it is some kind of doctors note.

Thanks Bill

Berta, what throws me is that I've been doing this 22 years and now there's a whole new set of acronyms coming in from SWA (Southwest Asia) such as AB8s, etc. I always got a big bang when I was over on the "Pink Peggy" site that moderators there turned P&T (Permanent and Total) into T&P. VA has always referred to Clear and Unmistakable Error as CUE. The BVA (Board of Veterans Appeals) and the CAVC (Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims) have also used that acronym exclusively. I noted one fellow there who claimed to be a VA rater extraordinaire always referred to it as "C&UE". After about 100 queries, I added a Vet's dictionary to my site early on to help Vets through the minefield of terms-both VA and military- that we encounter(ed) during our service.

https://asknod.org/the-va-dictionary/

I thought I knew all the acronym's but learned a new one.  I did not know what FNG was.  You will have to follow Alex's link if you want to find it out.  

Alex's dictionairy is Army VA, and there is probably another for Navy VA, and still another for Marines VA.  

We didnt have "Mos's" we had "ranks"  DP2, BM1, ISC, etc.  

I had to learn some of the Army lingo when my son went into the Army.  But he did not go to Nam, so there is a difference there, too.  

You oughta see the "texters" acronyms.  Its almost worse.  

MOSs are job definitions usually assigned after advanced training.

A basic recruit in the Marines is 0300, whereas once he completed Infantry Training School, he became a full-fledged grunt with the MOS of 0311.  MOSs don't migrate from service to service.  (ie., a 0311 in the USMC is 11B in the USA).

Yeah but USMCs were practically all infantry in Vietnam regardless of their MOS.

I speak to an extent, Marine, Army and Navy, due to my dead veteran husbands, who served in those branches, and then my daughter joined the USAF and would get irritated with me when I didn't use USAF acronyms. She didn't have a DI, she had a TI , no junk on the bunk, no chow hall, and not a "MOS."

Vietnam vets also had their own language too....one problem for them sometimes was that they had an Americanized name for some of the places in Vietnam that didn't reflect the spelling of the actual place.

Like Hue (pronounced 'way')...and could get a song confused with a bong which could mean a big difference to JSRRC ,trying to verify a stressor.

If they said to VA we took incoming at Song Mieu ( some clicks north west of Chu Lai, )JSRRC might not be able to find that record, because

there is no River in Mieu - Song means river, but there is a vill named Bong Mieu. My war map of Vietnam should still be searchable here.

Thanks Alex, for that dictionary because it can help many out there.