VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression And Anxiety

Rate this question

rigo

Question

Hi everyone

In 2002 raised a claim for depression and anxiety, the VA in 2003 established service connection for both of them and included them as part of the PTSD.

Depression and anxiety were diagnosed several times in service, also mention in the separation examination of 1966.

The VA granted service connection for PTSD in 2001

Question

Can the VA include depression and anxiety as part of the PTSD? even though depression and anxiety were directly related to the trauma the veteran suffered in service?

My other question

I`m wondering, if the depression and anxiety have a percentage assign to them (ex: 10 percent) even though they are part of another disability (PTSD), and if this percentage can be increase if the depression or anxiety gets worst.

Thanks

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Rigo

I'm thinking a service connected staged rating for depression OR anxiety could

be granted prior to the grant of PTSD, if you applied to VA for compensation for

depression OR anxiety back then.

You can only be compensated for one mental disability and it should be the one that

affords the highest compensation.

JMHO,

Hope this helps.

carlie

Carlie, you are so right, you can only be compensated with one rating decision for a psychological/mental disability, the one with the highest compensation. I forget all about that regulation. Sometimes I have what is call "VA retardation". Carlie, thank you for the prompt response Rigo

• HadIt.com Elder

Rigo

I was service connected for 5 differenct mental conditions but was only rated for one. Hey, if you get 100% it does not matter how you do it.

John999, if you had five (5) ratable mental disabilities and the VA only rated you for the disability with a higher compensation, ok, now you are claiming SMC, does the VA have to take into condireration all the mental disabilities or if it will be based only with the disability they apply the higher compensation????Sometimes, I think, hey I`m doing pretty good until you get to one of this questions stops me on my tracks.

Thanks for the responce. Rigo

1968 Army VV

Good point, that is what I want to know also, or is just wish thinking. One thing I know is that the VA need to look and evaluate all the evidence of record when they are making a decision. But will they give more importance to the service connected evaluation, to make the decision. I hope I`m making any sence.

thanks for the response Rigo

• HadIt.com Elder

Rigo

For SMC you need a rating of 100% schedular for a single disability usually. In some cases you can get it loss of use of particular organs. To get A&A or HB you have to be 100% plus 60%. If you get rated 100% schedular then worry about the SMC. The VA is only going to consider the highest rated mental disorder for possible SMC combinations down the road.

Although you can only be rated for one mental disorder, additional disorders become the "layers of the cake" making it more likely the more layers you have the more apt you will obtain a higher rating. Like any recipe, you put in all the ingredients and eventually you come up with the finished product. There are 44 disorders linked to PTSD and a vet can have just PTSD alone or could have all 44. Either way, it then becomes "how much do these disorder affect your behavior?" If it does in a severe or profound way, then you would receive a higher rating. It it has little effect, then you will receive a lower rating.

Patrick