Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Our picks

• The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 4 replies
    • Wonderful news way to hang in. I hope this gives you some well deserved peace. 
    • If HadIt.com has helped you or you believe in it’s mission then please donate even $1 helps. I hope HadIt.com has provided $1’s worth of help to you. Imagine waking up and there is no HadIt.com it could happen and that is why I’m asking for your help now.

Our traffic is going up and so are our expenses, however revenues have gone down and so I am reaching out to you to see if you can help me keep Hadit.com up and running.
      • 4 replies
    • https://community.hadit.com/searching-for-va-claims-information-on-hadit.com/

Your question has probably been asked before so the fastest way to find the information you need is to search for it.
      • 3 replies
    • How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
tom91

Claim Decision - Total & Permanent but.......

Question

Based on Ebenefits, they have closed my open claim and awarded me additional ratings. I was already 100% combined; however, when I go to Documents/Records and retrieve a VA benefits summary letter, it shows YES for 'You are considered to be totally and permanently disabled due soley to your service connected disabilities. The commissary letter goes on to say it is permanent and not scheduled for any future exams.

Here lies my question......would any of these state unemployable if the VA decision was that I am total, permanent and unemployable? I realize this will be all spelled out when I get the yellow envelope in the mail but thought others with experience might be able to let me know what I should see on these.

Thanks!

I disagree a veteran can work and get TDIU P&T

If  a Veteran is awarded TDIU w/P&T combined rating or a rating of 100%

& if he/she is on TDIU P&T then he/she is not supposed to be working, if you work and the you have tax taken from your pay check....VA finds out   be ready for  proposal  to reduce your rating ...some say you can make under the threshold of low income less than around 12000/13000 Yearly...

I Personally would not chance it...besides if your TDIU P&T you can't work.

Now if the Veteran is TDIU/ P&T with a combined rating less that the 100% and using the extra scheduler ( a) or( b) and has filed another claim on a different  s.c.condition, and is rating a 60% or 70% rating for that one condition the VA takes away the TDIU P&T and awards a 100% schedule rating with P&T...

Now when this happen the Veteran is given the Statutory  SMC -S H.B. rating  and is allowed to work and make so much, that 60% or 70% rating on top of the IU Ratings to scheduled at 100% can go to school...which I never understood? but the TDIU P&T means your not able to work period.

As to which don't make a lick of sense to me

jmo

.....................Buck

I was rating with TDIU P&T chronic in Nature with no exams scheduled.

I was at a 90% combined rating with a 10% rating for tinnitus  but that's is still considered a 92 % rating and back to the 90% combined rating using the extra schedular (b) to jump on the TDIU... Years later (14)

I filed another NEW CLAIM and was awarded a 70/% rating...VA took away the IU and gave me a 100% schedule rating and with the extra 70% they gave me SMC-S H.B.....It's an extra 347.15 month with spouse.

The SMC is a Statutory  rating after a Veteran reaches up to or over 160% rating, However the Veteran is still considered to be at a 100% rating.

As I understand it anywayz.

.................Buck

• Like 1

I'm trying to determine if the VA decision was to have made me permanent/total AND unemployable, would my letters in Ebenefits include reference to unemployable OR is the letters written as I described in my original note tell me they just put me as total & permanent

to further clarify, I was already and continue to be 100% schedular

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By MarkInTexas
      Well folks, I finally crossed the goal line that I have been moving the ball toward since I started this adventure in 2010.  A few days ago, I saw all kinds of crazy activity on eBenefits and VA.gov as I went to check on my slow shuffle in the BVA line.  I had already had my hearing and had several claims granted, and was waiting for the VA to move forward on the granted conditions, or see if they were were going to handle the remaining two remanded conditions that didn't amount to much anyway.
      I was sitting back with something like 33,000 claims still ahead of me in the slow march, so I was surprised to see an attorney fee determination claim pop up out of nowhere.  I called my attorney and left a message with his office.  He called me back a couple of days later excited and says that it looks like I'm about to join the Chapter 35 Club and that they will be retro'ing my EED back to my original claim dates.  He said to watch for the mail, and as usual to never trust eBenefits, which I don't, but I still do go to, which I know I shouldn't, but I do.  Y'all know what I mean.
      Anyway, a couple of days later, I get a nice retro in my account, and see that eBenefits is showing 100%, and the letter generator shows the same with the famous language of permanent and total with no future exams scheduled included in the letter.
      I noticed all of the BVA granted conditions were showing as service connected, except for one, so I'm assuming they are still working on that little one.  Also the two remanded conditions have not been decided yet either.  One called for a records review in the BVA remand decision and the other for a C&P, so since we now live in a COVID-19 world, who knows how that will work out?
      So anyway, I'm sitting and waiting on the one granted remaining and two remanded, but everything online shows green lights.  I did notice that there is are now two "new" claims open in my eBenefits, one still for the attorney fee determination and one for a "STR-Medical", and when I go to it, it says the claim is a regulatory and procedural review.  I'm hoping that some of y'all know what that means.
      I know that nothing is super "official" until I get the big brown envelope, or white, or brown and white....whatever the VA has in stock at the time, but it is a relief to finally be near the end of the tunnel that started with a VONAPP submission to the VA.  Yeah, I said it...VONAPP......the claims are that old.
      I know I've said it before, but I will say it again.  I joined this site back in 2012, and it has provided a wealth of knowledge, counseling and peace of mind, and also served as a place to ventilate.  I couldn't have made it without the help of you folks.  I also have to say that Asknod's e-book on Amazon saved me tons of trouble in the beginning, and it as handy as a pocket on a shirt as you navigate through the process.
      Thanks to all of you, and I wish you peace, good health and happiness.  I'll be back and forth on here still to check in, and maybe give some advice or get some advice.  Thank you all for your service, both in the military and now.  God bless each and every one of you.
      Mark

• By hemipepsis5p
      Hi everyone! 

So I have bipolar disorder, and I've made massive progress in my wellbeing in the last 6 months from diet/exercise and tons of self-help books and a Bipolar Life Skills program. Anyway, I feel great, and have for months and months now, and I feel like I'm ready to go back to school and finish my degree (in psychology) and try to get higher education so I can help other Veterans out of depression (I want to be a psychologist, the Psy.D route).
      Anyway I'm at 100% right now for my bipolar disorder, and I'm getting re-rated in like 2 years. I have 1 month left on my 9/11 GI Bill, which isn't enough for me to finish my degree (I have 2 years left). I'm aware that I have to put in for Voc Rehab before using my last month of benefits in order to get the higher Voc Rehab BAH rate.
      So my question is, if I call up Voc Rehab and say "Hey I'm feeling well enough to do school again and work and I want to be a psychologist and help other Veterans get their lives together" will the Voc Rehab people immediately schedule me for a re-evaluation? Don't get me wrong I want to get off of this disability stuff but if Voc Rehab is going to pay me only the BAH for the school's zip code, that is not enough for me to live on without a roommate (I'm 30) or some other source of income, not even close, like, the BAH is 3k per month, and the cheapest studios around the school (within a 45-minute drive one way) are $1200, and there are so many people applying for the apartments that unless you can show you bring home an income that is 3x your rent (in this case $3600 per month), they won't rent to you. I already tried to move there on my current monthly income (3k) and I got no responses.

Living on campus is possible but would be a nightmare as I would have to spend 4 months out of the year living with my 62 year old mom and my stepdad in a cramped little house. It's just not realistic. I know for a fact they wouldn't let me live with them for 4 months out of the year. Even when I was homeless they were only going to let me stay there for 1 week until I got into a VA housing program. It especially wouldn't work if I wanted to take summer courses because the dorms are closed during the summer and my family lives in another state. I also wouldn't be able to maintain my current extremely-healthy diet because no cooking is allowed in the dorms (no hot plates or toaster ovens). I eat very specific health-food recipes and mealprep 3-4 days at a time. The dining facility at the college is okay but is incompatible with my superfood diet. I checked to see if the school has off-campus school-sponsored housing but they don't have any.
      Anyway, I could absolutely make it work even if I'm bumped down to 50%, but if they put me at 10% or something I'm going to have to get a job when I'm going to school which would be too hard for me to do while getting the grades I need to get into a Psy.D program. Transferring schools to a cheaper area isn't much of an option because my transcript is so awful right now that no one else will take me.
      Will Voc Rehab set my BAH to 3x the studio rent for the area so I can get an apartment? I can hear you laughing now, I've dealt with the VA, I know the answer is probably "Yeah sure, when pigs fly."
      Thanks for any help!
    • By Nyree212
      Hello all I am fairly new to this forum however I get the majority of my insight here

Currently I'm rated at 90% overall , out of that my depression is currently rated at 50% , about 6 or 7 more disabilities each rated at between 10-30% as well ranging from back ,feet and hip problems and recently I have submitted my claim for tdiu back in October 2018 and this past Feb 2019 I had my c&p exam and I was wanting to seek feedback based on what my examiner wrote in the notes in the results I've copied and pasted the portion that stuck out to me most 
      Do I have a good chance at tdiu? Its a very scary process 

facilities. Encounter Date/Time Encounter Type Encounter Description Reason Provider Source                                                   :here are some of key things that stuck out from my examiners notes- 

At the time of the last exam she was experiencing a high level of work
      stress. This continued until her discharge in 9/19. She enrolled in
      College but only went to a day of school. She
      recalls, "it was pretty stressful, the wear and tear. Some of the
      classes were upstairs. Mentally I couldn't focus. I was excited, but
      when I went I felt overwhelm[ed], 'I can't do this.'"

She has looked for work she could do at home but was unable to find
      anything. Has not had paid work since her d/c from military service.

The veteran's depression is quite severe and would impact her
      performance in any job. She would be vulnerable to regular absenteeism
      and low productivity in any job. She would avoid social interaction and
      would particularly struggle to perform in jobs that involved extensive
      social interaction (e.g., team based jobs, customer facing jobs). She
      would likely struggle to tolerate the routine stress of most jobs or get
      through a work week without displaying obvious signs of depression and
      anxiety
    • By Alpenliter
      I was recently awarded 100% disability, and the effective date went back to when I first took a stress test to evaluate my heart problems, 12 months earlier.  My question is: while looking at my EKG, both my cardiologist and my primary care provider commented that it showed that I had a heart attack as far back as 2013.  Should I file an appeal as to the effective date using the EKG that clearly states " Inferior infarct (cited on or before 10-May-2013)"?  I don't want to appear greedy, or "rock the boat", but don't want to walk away from money on the table if it's there. Thanking you in advance for any help on this.
    • By marine0816
      Can't believe that I'm 100% Permanent and Total. With VA jerking me around for all these years, but without the help from Hadit I wouldn't  be here. The fight continues at the BVA level to hold on to what I've got, but now I can rest a little easier. The property Tax Exemption and the free Dependent Tuition is what my injuries deserved and that is what I was pushing for. I've seen Rheumatologist, Podiatrist, Vascular Surgeons, General Doctors, VA Doctors Nurse Practitioners,  combined, with hundreds of pages of medical evidence along with buddy statements to help solidify my case. If you look at my signature you can see my journey, the good years are the HADIT YEARS. Thanks to everyone that helped me out...

FLASHBACK To my first post back in 2013.. WOW, I had no clue I would be here

• Ads

• Our picks

• The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 4 replies
    • Wonderful news way to hang in. I hope this gives you some well deserved peace. 
    • If HadIt.com has helped you or you believe in it’s mission then please donate even $1 helps. I hope HadIt.com has provided $1’s worth of help to you. Imagine waking up and there is no HadIt.com it could happen and that is why I’m asking for your help now.

Our traffic is going up and so are our expenses, however revenues have gone down and so I am reaching out to you to see if you can help me keep Hadit.com up and running.
      • 4 replies
    • https://community.hadit.com/searching-for-va-claims-information-on-hadit.com/

Your question has probably been asked before so the fastest way to find the information you need is to search for it.
      • 3 replies
    • How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines