VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied Sleep Apnea Claim

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I am new to this site and I will apologize ahead of time incase my question seems pretty basic. I was recently denied sleep apnea and hypertension as not being service connected. I will only ask about my sleep apnea at this time. I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea (I retired from the military in 1995). I use to snore very loud while in the military according to my ex-wife. My question is will a statement from my ex-wife be enough to justify my sleep apnea? I was also given a service connected rating for my scoliosis of 20%, I have read online that spine problems can cause sleep apnea. Do you feel that between a statement from my ex-wife and the problems I have had with my spine would be enough to receive a rating for sleep apnea? Any suggestions on anything else I should add to the appeal? Thanks in advance for your advice. 

Edited by paulstrgn

I do have a sleep study which I had submitted with my initial claim. I will speak to my doctors to see what they say. Is it better to see a VA doctor for this or a military doctor? Just curious, I have never been to the VA as of yet.

I am hoping that the military doctor will write it in my medical records that my SA is caused by my scoliosis. I have also read that hypertension also causes SA. I am lucky since I am retired Air Force and have the privilege to see military doctors. I have found that most are willing to help write the documentation (if it is truly connected). I appreciate the advice and input. 

I think it's the other way around. Sleep apnea causes hypertension. If you file as hypertension caused by sleep apnea it will be denied. I think you would first have to connect the sleep apnea then file for hypertension as a secondary. But you will need a nexus letter with out a doubt