VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied Sleep Apnea Claim

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I am new to this site and I will apologize ahead of time incase my question seems pretty basic. I was recently denied sleep apnea and hypertension as not being service connected. I will only ask about my sleep apnea at this time. I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea (I retired from the military in 1995). I use to snore very loud while in the military according to my ex-wife. My question is will a statement from my ex-wife be enough to justify my sleep apnea? I was also given a service connected rating for my scoliosis of 20%, I have read online that spine problems can cause sleep apnea. Do you feel that between a statement from my ex-wife and the problems I have had with my spine would be enough to receive a rating for sleep apnea? Any suggestions on anything else I should add to the appeal? Thanks in advance for your advice. 

Edited by paulstrgn

3 hours ago, Gastone said:

Andy, your on Cpap or Bipap, right? With your Sleep Study low 02 Sats, has your Sleep Dr ordered an Overnight Pulse OX Study? Do you have an RX for an 02 Concentrator, are you using it?

Your VMC Sleep Dept MFIC can wright an RX for the Study. VA Respiratory Dept has a small unit, similar to a Holter Monitor, wear it while using your C/Bipap. If you use supplemental 02, generally you won't use it while doing the 02 Study.

Keep in mind, chronic drops in PO2, is Evidence of Chronic Respiratory Failure, see SA CFR Rating for 100%. It's (1) of the "ORs."

Semper Fi

Gastone, yes, I believe it's a Bipap, since the pressure drops when I exhale. I will be going to my sleep Dr next Monday.  I will mention this to them.  At this time I do not have O2.

From what my sleep study shows, my pO2 was in the upper 90s range during the treatment phase of the study.  What's not known is how many years have I been suffering from pO2 drop while sleeping.

My PCP has been unconcerned, all the previous times I've brought up my trouble sleeping. 

Semper Fi

Andy, I thought your original sleep study showed PO2 dropping to mid 70's - 80's? Anything in the 90's would not be a problem.

Semper Fi

Gastone, the PO2 was dropping in that low range before before treatment.  Once treatment started it stayed in the mid to upper 90s.

Semper Fi

I got my letter from IMO, in the letter he stated I had prehypertension while in the military, that my records showed I had gone in for fatigue, and that my ex-wife had complained about my heavy snoring while in the military. He also stated that even though I was only recently diagnosed with SA in 2015 which was 20 years after I retired. He finished the letter that with the conditions he mentioned in the letter that more likely than not I had SA while in the military with the conditions mentioned in his letter. I will submit this his letter along with the wife from my ex-wife as well as a letter from my daughter basically stated how the ex-wife complained about me snoring all night long. I am also submitting a letter from my housekeeper when I worked in Moscow just a few years ago. She also complained about my snoring being so loud and she was down the hall in her own room. I am not sure how the VA will rate whether or not the SA is SC, I guess I will find out soon enough. I just wanted to give an update and as soon as I hear from the VA I will post the results here.

As long as the IMO conformed to the IMO criteria here at hadit, the IMO could be OK.

But maybe not enough. Have you attempted to contact any buddy who was in your unit and bunked with you in the Mil?

Fatigue---did this ever show up for any disciplinary actions because you were late for duty or too tired in the job?

That stuff can be found in the 201 Personnel file the Mil has on every service person.

He did refer from what I understand here, to your SMRs.What type of doctor did the IMO?

Did they attach a CV or at least a rendition of their expertise?