VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied Sleep Apnea Claim

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I am new to this site and I will apologize ahead of time incase my question seems pretty basic. I was recently denied sleep apnea and hypertension as not being service connected. I will only ask about my sleep apnea at this time. I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea (I retired from the military in 1995). I use to snore very loud while in the military according to my ex-wife. My question is will a statement from my ex-wife be enough to justify my sleep apnea? I was also given a service connected rating for my scoliosis of 20%, I have read online that spine problems can cause sleep apnea. Do you feel that between a statement from my ex-wife and the problems I have had with my spine would be enough to receive a rating for sleep apnea? Any suggestions on anything else I should add to the appeal? Thanks in advance for your advice. 

Edited by paulstrgn

Just wanted to say I have not forgot to upload my denial letter. This is my first claim with the VA and I don't believe I got the full denial package. They just finished the deferral rating of my right hand and was told the package went out today and I should receive it in about 5 business days. Once I get that package I will have a better idea what the reasons for the denial of SA. I am also having a challenging time understanding some of the acronyms, I am hoping I will learn these soon enough. I am learning a lot from these post from what others are saying. 

I went today for pain management and asked the doctors if my SA could be caused in part by my scoliosis and they said it could be caused from the pain I am having. So I will contact my SA doctor tomorrow and see if he will see me again and write a statement to the affect that my SA more likely than not was caused from the pain  (nerve pain) I am experiencing from my scoliosis. If he does I can also tie my hypertension in as well. I just wanted to give an update and appreciate any and all advice.

Paul 

Paul,

You will find that you may well have to go down the "Yellow Brick Road" to get SA SC'd.  Most, if not, all of us here have done so, or are doing so now(like me).

All it takes is for one ignorant, or willfully negligent examiner, to opine that your lengthy paper trail is insignificant at best, to derail your claim.  Some of the Vets on here(asknod, gastone, and the wonderful (2X married to Vets but not one herself) Ms. Berta) have deep knowledge of the hows and whys of disability claims.  And they can and will give you guidance if you ask.

Semper Fi.

Andy

Andy,

Thank you for your advice. Once I receive my notice in a few days I will reach out to those you mentioned for advice and help.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Andy,

I tried to send Berta a message and it says she cannot receive any. Do you know what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Paul