VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question about Gunsmithing incident through VOC Rehab

Rate this question

flores97

Question

This is a complicated question, thanks in advance for any advice. My father, who is also a disabled veteran, was approved to take gunsmithing course with AGI through VOC Rehab. My dad was carries a 45 SIG that he uses for his gunsmithing classes. Well, several days ago his 45 discharged and my father was hit in the leg, the bullet traveled down his leg and exited through the bottom of his right foot, severely damaging muscles and bones both in leg and foot. My question is, does anyone think its possible for him to qualify for temp 100% due to the fact that he has the weapon for gunsmithing course and had been working on it prior to discharge (to the weapon firing)? As stated, he takes gun smithing through approval of VOC Rehab. Thanks in advance for any response, and I apologize for not posting on the forum for the last few days, been tied up with fathers injuries. 

3 hours ago, Leatherneck said:

What brought me to this site is an interest to use voc rehab (ch 31) to complete the AGI gunsmithing course to get "gainful employment" on a gun range or gun shop. I'm a disabled Iraq vet and really passionate about working on gun range or shop, maybe even have my own! Any advice is appreciated. 

You should probably post this as it's own question. This is a very old question you are replying to.

Its my opinion this will likely boil down to "a roll of the dice".  In other words, will you get a "Veteran friendly" adjuticator or not, if you apply.  

For me, I never cease to be baffled by VA decisions.  For Vets who I thought had a slam dunk, they get denied, and, on the other hand for Vets I thought "it was a stretch" got benefits right away.  

I have heard lawyers say this, that is, it  all depends on who you draw for a judge.  I dont think its much different at the Regional office or the BVA.  There are simply people there who are "not so Veteran friendly" and others who are very Veteran friendly.  

Very often it depends on the Veteran, too.  Are you persistent enough to keep fighting until you win?