VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD rating question

Rate this question

Silent Uproar

Question

Hello All

I have a question, please excuse my ignorance as I am not fully versed on the 100% rating for PTSD. I understand what P&T and TDIU is and all that. My question is I am  currently 50% for PTSD. I am rated at 80% for all disabilities. 

I have had for the  past several years an increase in suicidal and homicidal ideation I was baker acted but then released once I got to the local hospital not the VA hospital. 

All of my Dr's and my C&P examiner suggest that I enter inpatient treatment. I am currently employed. If I get an increase to 100% for PTSD what Will I have to do as far as my job is concerned as I work for the federal government? I know I can't work but just didn't know if there was a timeframe of how long I had to quit by. Is it even  possible to get rated at 100% PTSD while actively employed ?

If I can't work I will make less than what the 100% pays at and won't be able to support my family pay my mortgage  etc.  I have extreme difficulties making it through my day at work and at home but I still have a family to support along with a special needs child and my wife is a full time student and is not working to take care of my son. I do not have a college degree.

I know I can file for SSDI and Federal retirement etc but that will take who knows how long. 

If possible can someone provide some insight please. Your help would be appreciated, Thank you

Edited by Silent Uproar

I can't see you getting 100% for PTSD or any MH issue while still working.  By definition of what a 100% Rating for MH is.  I have rarely seen anyone with an award above 50% who was still employed or employable.  Good luck, regardless, you never know what they will do, really.

Thanks for the reply Talon,

I am actually not hoping for 100% PTSD. I am hoping for 70%. I know onece you get into 70% it gets very iffy when it comes to working. I put in for an increase because I had to leave three different federal agencies and now I wound up at my last stop. I came to this agency with 50% and they had to interview my Psych Dr before they gave me the position. I refused to file for PTSD for awhile due to the job I first had because of the  stigma that came along with it, as I worked with almost 98% of vets. I would not have been able to hold the position with PTSD anyway.  I just was unable to take it anymore. I left for a less stressful position , which I  had to leave after a year and then wound up where I am at now.

It is known that I have PTSD and its actually pittifull how I get treated sometimes. The supervisors treat me like I am severely mentally challenged, which is very offensive and demeaning. They have already fired 2 other vets while still on probation and trying to fire another guy who has been there for 6 years, so I am trying to help them fight it. After being Baker acted I don't know what they will do with me as I have to disclose it on my SF-86.

Sorry for the rant, thank for your advice its appreciated.

Edited by Silent Uproar

No worries, this is where I COME to rant!  We are all dealing with a lot of the same issues and problems, both internally and externally.  My family even treats me that way, sometimes, lol.  It is a tough pill to swallow, I know.  It is a hard adjustment, so much of our identities are tied up with our jobs, once you sever those connections it can be disorienting, so be prepared for that. 

Better that than have your spouse treat you like you're just a stupid man, I suppose.  Forgetting stuff all the time, or not doing it the right way, or saying the right thing.  Or missing family events, because you signed up for overtime, after you checked and got the go ahead.  Or school events, because you didn't take off early, because you weren't told. Or missed dinner with the in-laws for same reasons.  Or looking like a big dummy in front of your wife and kids' friends.....or family friends, or in-law's family, or their friends...Nothing like going to in-law's relative's multi million $ beach house, and commit some major social faux pas cus you weren't given instructions on how or what or why.

Not that I know what that's like, cuz I don't, just imagining what it could be like. 

2 hours ago, TALON II FE said:

No worries, this is where I COME to rant!  We are all dealing with a lot of the same issues and problems, both internally and externally.  My family even treats me that way, sometimes, lol.  It is a tough pill to swallow, I know.  It is a hard adjustment, so much of our identities are tied up with our jobs, once you sever those connections it can be disorienting, so be prepared for that. 

I get the same treatment from my family, as my wife dosent understand my illness at all and my other famly members don't want to hear about my issues.  Unfortunately my father killed himself shortly after I was injured he was an army vet as well as his father who is also dead and fought in World War II? So I am just basically considered the xxxx up as I have a half brother who is very successful along with an xxxxxxx stepfather who wants to hear nothing about PTSD as he is a corporate machine and considers mental illness a weakness. So the only place I feel comfortable talking to other vets and people who have been through some shit. That is what I'm concerned about once the job connections are severed I know I'll be lost as it's something I am trying to prepare for because it is inevitable it will happen. 

Thanks again Talon.

2 hours ago, Andyman73 said:

Better that than have your spouse treat you like you're just a stupid man, I suppose.  Forgetting stuff all the time, or not doing it the right way, or saying the right thing.  Or missing family events, because you signed up for overtime, after you checked and got the go ahead.  Or school events, because you didn't take off early, because you weren't told. Or missed dinner with the in-laws for same reasons.  Or looking like a big dummy in front of your wife and kids' friends.....or family friends, or in-law's family, or their friends...Nothing like going to in-law's relative's multi million $ beach house, and commit some major social faux pas cus you weren't given instructions on how or what or why.

Not that I know what that's like, cuz I don't, just imagining what it could be like. 

It's not easy for us to fit in with just the normal people in society. I can only imagine having to be around the upper echelon of society. People just don't understand, only those who feel it know it.

Edited by Silent Uproar