VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD rating question

Rate this question

Silent Uproar

Question

Hello All

I have a question, please excuse my ignorance as I am not fully versed on the 100% rating for PTSD. I understand what P&T and TDIU is and all that. My question is I am  currently 50% for PTSD. I am rated at 80% for all disabilities. 

I have had for the  past several years an increase in suicidal and homicidal ideation I was baker acted but then released once I got to the local hospital not the VA hospital. 

All of my Dr's and my C&P examiner suggest that I enter inpatient treatment. I am currently employed. If I get an increase to 100% for PTSD what Will I have to do as far as my job is concerned as I work for the federal government? I know I can't work but just didn't know if there was a timeframe of how long I had to quit by. Is it even  possible to get rated at 100% PTSD while actively employed ?

If I can't work I will make less than what the 100% pays at and won't be able to support my family pay my mortgage  etc.  I have extreme difficulties making it through my day at work and at home but I still have a family to support along with a special needs child and my wife is a full time student and is not working to take care of my son. I do not have a college degree.

I know I can file for SSDI and Federal retirement etc but that will take who knows how long. 

If possible can someone provide some insight please. Your help would be appreciated, Thank you

Edited by Silent Uproar

Not only do I feel I don't fit in, but I always try to fade into the background.  Even in my own family, only 1 cousin is a Vet. A few years ago, another cousin married an AD USAF type.  So there isn't much in common there, and on my wife's side, none of our generation served. I try to stay quiet, and mind my self, it's so much easier that way.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:47 PM, Silent Uproar said:

It is known that I have PTSD and its actually pittifull how I get treated sometimes. The supervisors treat me like I am severely mentally challenged, which is very offensive and demeaning.

You need to have a talk with your HR department about "Reasonable Accommodations".  It's illegal for an employer to discriminate against you, or belittle you because of a disability.  In fact, and ESPECIALLY for the Federal Government, they have to accommodate your PTSD and aren't allowed to "share" your disability with anyone else.

I work for the Fed. Govt. and am rated at 70% for PTSD.  I met with our HR department and our EEO office and my supervisor and I worked out a reasonable accommodation program together.

Best of luck to you as you continue to heal!!!

Semper Fi -

2 hours ago, OEF 21B said:

You need to have a talk with your HR department about "Reasonable Accommodations".  It's illegal for an employer to discriminate against you, or belittle you because of a disability.  In fact, and ESPECIALLY for the Federal Government, they have to accommodate your PTSD and aren't allowed to "share" your disability with anyone else.

I work for the Fed. Govt. and am rated at 70% for PTSD.  I met with our HR department and our EEO office and my supervisor and I worked out a reasonable accommodation program together.

Best of luck to you as you continue to heal!!!

Semper Fi -

Thanks for the response OEFI already have a reasonable accommodation for my physical disabilities and it's been months and they haven't given me one thing. I have asked for pretty simple things and they also keep throwing more work my way. My Chief keeps it in our Division which is rather small as he refuse to let the higher up get involved. 

I had a violent confrontation at work and it was leaked that I had PTSD. I was not fired but things were kept quit about it. I have letters from my Psych Dr to start the PTSD accommodation.  I barley make it through the a day let alone a full week, it's just getting worse.  The thing is they won't fire me being a Disabled Veteran and which is a good thing. 

I had to leave a very good job about 10 years ago due to my PTSD, I was not rated at the time as I had a TS and was a LEO now I don't even have a clearance and am the low man on the  totem pole. I lost my 20 year retirement due to this illness. I am not complaining at least I have a job and I'm able to provide for my family.

it's just the motherfucker sometimes as I'm sure you know.

Thanks for the  advice  man I appreciate it.

Silent Uproar i understand your predicaments as I was in a similar situation myself as a federal employee.  Not that I'm advocating that you do the same as I and retire through disability retirement.  I just got to the point where I was going to hurt people, fortunately it was an inanimate object that I took my anger out on but I very well was imagining it was my supervisors face.  When I got to that point, it was in my best interest to leave.  I hated that fact, however, in my situation it was the best decision I made.  You have to decide what is best for you. I may sound like a douche, however, really you have to weigh the situation very carefully.  You've worked hard and have done your service, no reason to ruin what has been an important part of who you are.  There is no shame in that.

You will not do your family any good if you get fired and incarcerated.  Let alone the guilt you would feel because you lost your temper and took it out on a fellow employee.  Trust me you don't want that.  Consider these statements.

If you decide to stick it through then great.  I respect that decision.  I suggest you find a treatment plan, and  a hobby to relieve the tension and aggression.  I flew my small drones during some breaks and lunch when I was working.  I buried myself in my work and what I could do physically. Those actions worked for quite a while.

Heh if you have the support of your leadership and co-workers then keep at it.  Just be mindful.  If anything, please be mindful.  I hope you find something that will work for you and you find the answers you are looking for.  Good luck.

On April 29, 2016 at 10:16 AM, ArNG11 said:

Silent Uproar i understand your predicaments as I was in a similar situation myself as a federal employee.  Not that I'm advocating that you do the same as I and retire through disability retirement.  I just got to the point where I was going to hurt people, fortunately it was an inanimate object that I took my anger out on but I very well was imagining it was my supervisors face.  When I got to that point, it was in my best interest to leave.  I hated that fact, however, in my situation it was the best decision I made.  You have to decide what is best for you. I may sound like a douche, however, really you have to weigh the situation very carefully.  You've worked hard and have done your service, no reason to ruin what has been an important part of who you are.  There is no shame in that.

You will not do your family any good if you get fired and incarcerated.  Let alone the guilt you would feel because you lost your temper and took it out on a fellow employee.  Trust me you don't want that.  Consider these statements.

If you decide to stick it through then great.  I respect that decision.  I suggest you find a treatment plan, and  a hobby to relieve the tension and aggression.  I flew my small drones during some breaks and lunch when I was working.  I buried myself in my work and what I could do physically. Those actions worked for quite a while.

Heh if you have the support of your leadership and co-workers then keep at it.  Just be mindful.  If anything, please be mindful.  I hope you find something that will work for you and you find the answers you are looking for.  Good luck.

Thank you for the advice you are spot man. I need to do the same and I know it. It's getting to the point where I am worried about getting locked up or dead. I have a real issue with entering a program as I have extremely poor skills being around people, I am not an xxxxxxx or anything. It's just that I am extremely uncomfortable with people being close to me and I know how the PTSD inpatient program is at the VA where I live, it's a bad environment. I can barley sleep at home, no way I can sleep somewhere else especially the VA. I take some pretty strong sleep meds and can't even sleep in a hotel by myself. 

Thank for your advice 

That is the first time here  in about 20 years , I ever heard of anyone say the  PTSD in house program was bad.

My husband was very afraid to go into it, but the shrink suggested it because we had put pressure on VA for better PTSD care.

We got to the Bath BY VA at about 4:30 AM, which they told us to do because the VA van would take him up to Buffalo VA inhouse.

he couldn't sleep that night at all... he was really scared.

21 Days later the van brought him back to Bath VAMC and he told me right away the program was excellent but the only problems with it was he needed a year inhouse to debrief him from a year in Hell (Vietnam)

I got to know the counselors and the other vets in his inhouse group.

One of them was a wannabee. He was the only one who complained about the  program. He did not receive the 100% temp comp and after my husband died, he asked me to help with his PTSD claim. The other vets knew he was bsing the counselors

I learned a lot from him.....every claim is a 'story'...a story we tell the VA that has to be backed up with evidence.

He had no evidence at all. He had a BVA denial but never appealed to COVA ( CAVC then) and had nothing to re open with.

I heard his story over and over again. But every suggestion I made to him to obtain evidence went no where.

I had to fight to get my husband , a combat decorated vet , to even get into this program and some shrink at VA who 'liked' him pulled some strings to get him in. He didn't even have any SC rating at all for PTSD.and never will.

Repetition does not make awards happen.Only Evidence does.

As bad as VA is they are good too in many ways and the program did help my husband. Unfortunately he died 3 weeks after he got home from it.