VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD rating question

Rate this question

Silent Uproar

Question

Hello All

I have a question, please excuse my ignorance as I am not fully versed on the 100% rating for PTSD. I understand what P&T and TDIU is and all that. My question is I am  currently 50% for PTSD. I am rated at 80% for all disabilities. 

I have had for the  past several years an increase in suicidal and homicidal ideation I was baker acted but then released once I got to the local hospital not the VA hospital. 

All of my Dr's and my C&P examiner suggest that I enter inpatient treatment. I am currently employed. If I get an increase to 100% for PTSD what Will I have to do as far as my job is concerned as I work for the federal government? I know I can't work but just didn't know if there was a timeframe of how long I had to quit by. Is it even  possible to get rated at 100% PTSD while actively employed ?

If I can't work I will make less than what the 100% pays at and won't be able to support my family pay my mortgage  etc.  I have extreme difficulties making it through my day at work and at home but I still have a family to support along with a special needs child and my wife is a full time student and is not working to take care of my son. I do not have a college degree.

I know I can file for SSDI and Federal retirement etc but that will take who knows how long. 

If possible can someone provide some insight please. Your help would be appreciated, Thank you

Edited by Silent Uproar

Nope. I just kept my federal blue cross and shield. I am not permanent and total.  It has been 3 months or so and I still have not received my last decision which won me IU.

If you're retired and left the federal service what did you do about health insurance how are you able to keep the Blue Cross and Blue Shield? is that a part of the Federal retirement?  I am totally and completely lost man as I have no idea how I'm going to be able to get my family health insurance my wife is going to try to find a job. How  long  do I have until I have to quit is there a timeline .  I mean I barely make it through the day and I have had multiple issues so I'm definitely not complaining but I'm just trying to figure things out. When you say you haven't received your final decision do you mean the actual paperwork in the mail or what. Thanks for the help brother I appreciate it I'm just kind of confused as I'm sure you can tell. I didn't apply for IU, I applied for an increase as I was at 50% for PTSD

Silent Uproar check your PM.

Silent Uproar I would like to tell you about my experience. I too work for the Federal government and also been an inpatient at the Waco VA hospital. I have been working as an armed Security Guard for the last 7 years after I retired from the military. My PTSD steady got worse so they had to pull me from my position, assigned me to temporary duties for a year while I was being evaluated. MY work put me on adminstrative leave while I was at the in patient in Waco. So I stilled got paid and did not have to worry about the money. I do not know if your employer would do that for you, but the rational was the treatment was for me to get better for me to go back to work. Unfortunately I have been given my memorandum for removal from government service and I now only have about three weeks left before I am unemployed. If you file for Federal Disability retirement you can choose to keep your health insurance for your family. If you need more information on the FERS disability retirement please let me know. As far as the inpatient at waco I went from 20 Sept 2015 to 12 Nov 2015. They put us in groups of 10 called cohorts and I stayed with the same group during the entire treatment. They design to make the program very relaxing as my longest day was only until about 2:00PM. You even could leave the hospital every day and go in to town as long as I was back by 9:00 PM. And week end passes were authorized Friday to Sunday. I met a lot of good people and I did feel better at the end of the treatment. They also brought in organization Like the Wounded Warrior Program to help us with our claims or question. .Unfortunately even though I felt better it did not last and now I feel just as bad or worse. I still recommend getting help.As far as temporary 100%rating you can not apply for that until you reach 21 days or after and yes you can apply for other disabilities at the same time. You will also get travel pay and since I live In El Paso My was around $500.  As far as getting a 100% rating while working I would not think so, but I do have other veterans at my work that are rated 70% for PTSD. Since I knew I might be loosing my job I put in an intent to file. I fully submit my claim was unemployed. I hope you get the care you need and get better. You will have a hard time maintaining employment if you do not take care of your health. I wish you good luck.

16 hours ago, Silent Uproar said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all of your help and advice. I went on ebennies and saw that I was awarded 100% for PTSD. I am currently working for the Federal Government and I owe them 200 hours of FMLA, which is advanced sick leave that I did not have and  they basically the let me borrow. Does anyone know what the time line is for me to leave my job. I looked at a letter and I was not awarded P&T. I did not see any other information. Does anyone have any experience on how I would pay back my FMLA without working, I earn 4 hours of sick leave every 2 weeks. 

Any recommendations on any good insurances besides Obamacare for my family as my wife is not working, yet.

Thank you for your help

If you've been at your Fed gov job long enough and your current health insurance longer than 5 years, you should be able to keep it at the same cost as you have now while working.  Check into it.  May be your best option, talk to HR and see about retirement before it is handed to you on their terms instead of yours.  Do so ASAP, if you're infront of it, you can surf the crest of that wave, instead of being pounded into the sand.

Semper Fi

17 hours ago, wablackwell said:

Silent Uproar I would like to tell you about my experience. I too work for the Federal government and also been an inpatient at the Waco VA hospital. I have been working as an armed Security Guard for the last 7 years after I retired from the military. My PTSD steady got worse so they had to pull me from my position, assigned me to temporary duties for a year while I was being evaluated. MY work put me on adminstrative leave while I was at the in patient in Waco. So I stilled got paid and did not have to worry about the money. I do not know if your employer would do that for you, but the rational was the treatment was for me to get better for me to go back to work. Unfortunately I have been given my memorandum for removal from government service and I now only have about three weeks left before I am unemployed. If you file for Federal Disability retirement you can choose to keep your health insurance for your family. If you need more information on the FERS disability retirement please let me know. As far as the inpatient at waco I went from 20 Sept 2015 to 12 Nov 2015. They put us in groups of 10 called cohorts and I stayed with the same group during the entire treatment. They design to make the program very relaxing as my longest day was only until about 2:00PM. You even could leave the hospital every day and go in to town as long as I was back by 9:00 PM. And week end passes were authorized Friday to Sunday. I met a lot of good people and I did feel better at the end of the treatment. They also brought in organization Like the Wounded Warrior Program to help us with our claims or question. .Unfortunately even though I felt better it did not last and now I feel just as bad or worse. I still recommend getting help.As far as temporary 100%rating you can not apply for that until you reach 21 days or after and yes you can apply for other disabilities at the same time. You will also get travel pay and since I live In El Paso My was around $500.  As far as getting a 100% rating while working I would not think so, but I do have other veterans at my work that are rated 70% for PTSD. Since I knew I might be loosing my job I put in an intent to file. I fully submit my claim was unemployed. I hope you get the care you need and get better. You will have a hard time maintaining employment if you do not take care of your health. I wish you good luck.

Thank you for taking the time to explain the process. I might PM you regarding the  FERS. Thanks for your help.