VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD - C&P Exam "Stressor"

Rate this question

R762

Question

I e-mailed my DAV representative yesterday. I have a C&P exam this Friday. I asked him if I should bring in my buddy statements, awards, Release of [medical] Information, my DD Form 2807-1 (which shows I asked the Regimental Medical Officer that I was seeking help/advice for reoccuring nightmares that stemmed from a military operation the pentagon 9/11).

The Rep responded, "You do not want to submit anything at this time, getting the exam is a huge step, because if they did not verify your stressor they would not have requested the exam".

My Question: So, should I not bring my medical records for proof? In the beginning, It was my understanding that I would want to bring in as much information as possible.

9 minutes ago, GuaymasJim said:

I read your DBQ (as opposed to studying it) and compared it to my own (2013).  In many regards it was very similar, the biggest exception being multiple combat (VN) stressors and a host of other conditions.

It gets a little confusing about what documentation was reviewed.  I am assuming you provided  most of it.

The military personnel who were killed or injured were awarded the Purple Heart as they should have been.  That makes the attack an "enemy action."  I believe that influences the need for a confirmed stressor, but you provided one anyway.

Under "Occupational and social impairment" the level marked by the examiner is almost word for word the VBA criteria for 30%

"Occupational and social impairment with occasional    30%
decrease in work efficiency and intermittent
periods of inability to perform occupational tasks
(although generally functioning satisfactorily,
with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation
normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood,
anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or
less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory
loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent
events)."

I agree completely with Berta.

FYI, I was awarded 30% with the same level marked on my DBQ.

Supporting documentation submitted/Uploaded to ebenefits;

1. Buddy Statements (10 from other soldiers including my higher NCO's at the time that were in the pentagon side by side)

2. Awards/medals/certificates (for proof I was in there (2 ARCOMS and an AAM, and a Operation Noble Eagle Certificate)

3. ROI (Release of information) from VA appt's in 2004-2006 where VA Psychiatrist and LCSW documented me as PTSD + prescribed medication for PTSD.

4. A years worth of bi weekly counseling with private doctor (2015-present)

5. Letters to 2 Congressmen and my Governor.

I also wrote a letter to Donald Rumsfeld.

*What I want to see/look back on is what the non-VA psychiatrist wrote in her report. she totally discredited me; the VA took her word over mine.

3 hours ago, Berta said:

I agree that this is at least 30% and with the claustrophobia could be rated higher.

VA rates PTSD heavily as to how employability is affected .

Personally I would give you 100% but VA doesn't care what I think. I would make them go broke. None of you are really properly compensated in my opinion.

My husband was on a Rescue Recovery -USMC in Vietnam ...horrible. He still had nightmares about it prior to his death.

I commend you for being so proactive about your claim! The older decision will tell us more about the CUE potential.

The DAV Rep said something like my original claim was closed because I didn't have a "verified stressor"? I think. I guess my question is, "If the claim was closed because it did not have a verified stressor, and the stressor is verified now, would that make a difference?" .

Edited by R762
rewording my question

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!

You will be OK!

The PH, CAR, and /or the CIB cause VA to conceded the stressor ..that is they SHOULD concede it.

I have only seen once in about 19 years here where the vet had the CAR but they denied due to no stressor,...and I think there was more to it than we knew here.

When the claim is resolved, since it seems the PH is not on your DD 214 I highly recommend downloading the DD 149 form here, in order to correct the 214 with a 215.

I bet there might well be other awards or decorations missing from your DD 214 too.

I might be wrong---did you say the evidence of the PH was in your SMRs but not on the DD 214?

If so, this also might be a 38 USC 3.156 claim for better EED.

Don't worry about that....I just don't want to forget I mentioned it here....

I think my husband got 30% when he first went to the VA, (1983)because he had been a former  NUKE and had gotten another good paying job by time the award came. When VA employed him they proposed to reduce him to 10%. It was a part time crap job they only gave him because the Personnel Director said he was not qualified for a Firemans position at the VA ( they wanted to hire relatives in those days).

I shoved the statement from OPM that said he WAS qualified in her face. She got fired.And to appease him he got a crap job until another full time fireman's job opened. They didn't want an EEOC case. By then 3 family members worked for the VA fire dept. Can anyone say Nepotism!!!!! BS plain and simple.

I got that fixed ....The proposed reduction. (1989) In 1992 he  then applied for a higher PTSD rating .His posthumous PTSD award was 100% P & T for PTSD back to 1991.

PTSD has no cure and can get worse. Obviously this shows that  sometimes VA will low ball anyone's  MH  rating if they think they can get away with it..

Edited by Berta

Well, now they are saying they can "cure" PTSD.  I believe they take this stance so they can keep PTSD Ratings as 'fluid' so they can slide in reductions and not award "Permanent" to ratings.  This is why I cannot get Chapter benefits for my dependents.

4 hours ago, Berta said:

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!

You will be OK!

The PH, CAR, and /or the CIB cause VA to conceded the stressor ..that is they SHOULD concede it.

I have only seen once in about 19 years here where the vet had the CAR but they denied due to no stressor,...and I think there was more to it than we knew here.

When the claim is resolved, since it seems the PH is not on your DD 214 I highly recommend downloading the DD 149 form here, in order to correct the 214 with a 215.

I bet there might well be other awards or decorations missing from your DD 214 too.

I might be wrong---did you say the evidence of the PH was in your SMRs but not on the DD 214?

If so, this also might be a 38 USC 3.156 claim for better EED.

Don't worry about that....I just don't want to forget I mentioned it here....

I think my husband got 30% when he first went to the VA, (1983)because he had been a former  NUKE and had gotten another good paying job by time the award came. When VA employed him they proposed to reduce him to 10%. It was a part time crap job they only gave him because the Personnel Director said he was not qualified for a Firemans position at the VA ( they wanted to hire relatives in those days).

I shoved the statement from OPM that said he WAS qualified in her face. She got fired.And to appease him he got a crap job until another full time fireman's job opened. They didn't want an EEOC case. By then 3 family members worked for the VA fire dept. Can anyone say Nepotism!!!!! BS plain and simple.

I got that fixed ....The proposed reduction. (1989) In 1992 he  then applied for a higher PTSD rating .His posthumous PTSD award was 100% P & T for PTSD back to 1991.

PTSD has no cure and can get worse. Obviously this shows that  sometimes VA will low ball anyone's  MH  rating if they think they can get away with it..

For clarification, I never commented that I had a PH. I didn't earn that medal, nor was I awarded it. I was not seeking a PH. I have PTSD. But that is frowned upon by my peers and chain of command. The attack on the pentagon 9/11 is a loophole. As far as I know, nobody from my unit received PH. The criteria for a CAR or CIB are not met in this scenerio. I am being diagnosed and treated for direct service connected PTSD from the attacks on the pentagon and the search and rescue induced PTSD. No PH was awarded.

Edited by R762

I truly apologize,  somehow I got 2 different vets mixed up here this AM.

I need to find the other vet who does have the PH but the VA denied him for PTSD.....thanks for correcting me right away.

Heck if I start making too many  errors like that here, I would be qualified to become a rater at the VA!!!!:blush: