VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Time Frame For Ptsd Results After C And P

Rate this question

mountain tyme

Question

Hello, I am new to this forum but I have a question about a year ago I filed a claim with the VA for service connect PTSD due to personal assualt during my time in the AF, I had been seeing a cilvian councler for about a year and she referred me a doctor to be tested for PTSD the test took quite a few hours and the result was PTSD and a GAF of 36 both my councler and the doctor that did the testing both concured that they felt very strongly it was serviced connected due to the events that occured durning my military committment...I decided to file a claim with the VA with the help of a Veteran organization needless to say durning the process I have had 4 different reps because they seemed to find other jobs and left our small town...my claim was denied twice and finally the VA rep. sent a letter requesting I have a face to face review or something like that..this is all greek to me...so the Va rep. received a call after I submitted my last set of evidence that I found in a trunk in the attic of the Artical 15 that my Supervisor received and also made copies of the original EEOC compliant I filed for sexual harrasement which resulted in him also receiving a letter of rep. in the folder were also 6 statements from members that worked in the same area as I...to make a long story short...after those papers were reviewed the VA rep. received a phone call asking if I would consent to a C and P exam which I did consent to...I had the exam in Aug 06 and the Doctor who performed the examination after about 3 hours turned and told me that he felt that I had endured enough stress and that there were other exams he could do but felt that there was no need...and that he was going to rate me low...He asked me if I was working and I told him no that I had been on SSd since 2002 do to ashma and anixiey disorder...I told him do to my health insurace I can only have 8 sessions of counceling per year...and he told me that I need to go more often and that was the end of that and I left he gave me his card...now the question how long will it take to find out if I receive service connected so I can go for treatment for my condition...if I go up to the VA hospital which is 2 1/2 hours from my home the VA hospital said they would have to charge my health insurance unless it is service connected...heck if I only have 8 sessions per year I sure in the heck not going to drive all that way with the cost of gas....so anyone have any ideal how long it takes for them to make a decision when I called that toll free number I talked to a VA guy and he said that my packet was sent to the review board on Oct 24th, 2006. Thank You for your time I didn't mean to make this question so long.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest jangrin

MT,

I'm happy you found Hadit. You are getting, awwsome advise. The people here will truly help you get through this and the paperwork as well. This is the Hadit Fambly, and we do cover each others back. Thank you for your service. Glad your here.

Jangrin :huh:

Welcome aboard veteran-

From what I read of your situation -you have excellent evidence-

A SC claim usually needs current diagnosed disability, inservice event or injury that caused the disability ,and proof of the inservice event. You have all that.

Although the SSD said you have an anxiety disorder, PTSD IS an anxiety disorder.

I feel those SSD records can help your claim.

"talked to a VA guy and he said that my packet was sent to the review board on Oct 24th, 2006."

He might have meant the rating board or maybe the initial predetermination team.

I strongly suggest that you file out the attached TDIU form-

Under Remarks you can expand on your claim for TDIU- tell them you get SSD (even though this is covered by one of the questions on the form I think it helps to make sure they know this)

and I assume that your anxiety is due to the trauma of this terrible incident-tell them that too-

I believe that the SSD guidelines specifically say PTSD is under anxiety disorders.

and tell them of any side affects from any meds you take for anxiety that render you unemployable.

What I am not sure of is whether this will hold up the claim or not-by filing it now but then again it will establish the earliest effective date for total service connection.

I am glad the vet rep told you about us-

I gave my vet reps many hadit business cards and they said they would give them to vets but I dont know if they did-

You went through alot ! You should be compensated.

If you file the TDIU form now,send a copy to your vet rep- if they question that you have no SC yet,and shouldn't ask for TDIU at this point ---let me know here and they can contact me. Or Vice versa-

A veteran does not need any VA SC rating to be considered for TDIU -especially with the evidence you have.

You can request a copy of the C & P results by writing to the Records Access Officer of the VAMC that gave it to you.

I regret what you went through- but I am glad you found us here.

TDIU_form.pdf

Dear mountain tyme, like Berta, Carlie and Jangrin stated, you should request TDIU, and you should not wait to file this claim until the VA sends you the application form. Yoy can file an informal claim by simply sending the VA a letter stating that you wished to be considered for TDIU benefits and ask the VA to send all appropriate forms so that the claim could be perfected.

If you are in need of counseling, go to the VA with the evidence and talk to a counselor and the VA will give you all the help that you need (stipulated by Congress)

SSD evidence will enhance your claim for PTSD.

Like you stated the VA is your worst enemy, and the best way to fight them is becoming your own advocate and learn as much as you can about their rules and regulations.

In March 2002, the VA amended its PTSD regulation, 38 C.F.R. 3.304(f), to add a new section for PTSD claims based on in-service personal assault. The new regulation corporates earlier court decisions and existing Manual21-1 provision. Significantly, it states that the VA will not deny a claim for PTSD based on personal assault without first telling the veteran that evidence other than that found in service records can be submitted and allowing the veteran the opportunity to submit such evidence. It also describes some types of evidence that can be used to support a PTSD claim based on a personal assault.

Mountain Tyme, if the VA didn`t inform you of the above law in your 2 previous denials, you probably can request a re-evaluation or include this information in your NOD.

I understand that what you are doing is very hard to do, but, you need to be compensated for your suffering, be strong, and may god bless. Rigo

Welcome aboard veteran-

From what I read of your situation -you have excellent evidence-

A SC claim usually needs current diagnosed disability, inservice event or injury that caused the disability ,and proof of the inservice event. You have all that.

Although the SSD said you have an anxiety disorder, PTSD IS an anxiety disorder.

I feel those SSD records can help your claim.

"talked to a VA guy and he said that my packet was sent to the review board on Oct 24th, 2006."

He might have meant the rating board or maybe the initial predetermination team.

I strongly suggest that you file out the attached TDIU form-

Under Remarks you can expand on your claim for TDIU- tell them you get SSD (even though this is covered by one of the questions on the form I think it helps to make sure they know this)

and I assume that your anxiety is due to the trauma of this terrible incident-tell them that too-

I believe that the SSD guidelines specifically say PTSD is under anxiety disorders.

and tell them of any side affects from any meds you take for anxiety that render you unemployable.

What I am not sure of is whether this will hold up the claim or not-by filing it now but then again it will establish the earliest effective date for total service connection.

I am glad the vet rep told you about us-

I gave my vet reps many hadit business cards and they said they would give them to vets but I dont know if they did-

You went through alot ! You should be compensated.

If you file the TDIU form now,send a copy to your vet rep- if they question that you have no SC yet,and shouldn't ask for TDIU at this point ---let me know here and they can contact me. Or Vice versa-

A veteran does not need any VA SC rating to be considered for TDIU -especially with the evidence you have.

You can request a copy of the C & P results by writing to the Records Access Officer of the VAMC that gave it to you.

I regret what you went through- but I am glad you found us here.

Hello,

First I would like to thank everyone for all the information it gave me some direction...

I went to the site you sent me to with the forms...I never seen those before...also I never filled out a VA form from the VA in regards to PTSD...I made copies of everything I sent to the VA and the VA reps (4 in all due to the change over in our local office) gave me copies of the NOD (I have 2 of them) other then the letters from the VA's 2 letters of denial that is all the offical papers I have..now when I finally was asked to come in for a C and P exam the doctor had a computer program and typed in information and checked yes or no ect...but I did not receive a copy of that nor was I asked to sign anything...it was a very long exam and stressfull questions...I don't even recall any one from the VA nor any of the VA reps. that have helped me through this process ask me what I wanted as far as compensation goes...I just had hoped that the VA could have helped me with my councleling fees...because I needed to go more then what SSD would cover along with my other health insurance....I did tell the VA doctor that I wanted to go to counceling but it needed to be close to where I live because I fall asleep due to my medicine...I have Faith in God that this will all work out as it should...it's just frustrating learning about how the VA works...there system is not very user friendly if you ask me...but I suppose like everything else there are some who will take advantage of the system and some that really need to take advantage of the system and don't because of what I am finding out is a maze of confusion...It is a shame that an orginazation that has been set up to help all the vets that served our country and there families...that when a VEt calls that they don't send them a list of Veteran service ORganizations that can help them start the paperwork...and advise them to seek help before sending information in to make sure all there t are crossed and "i" are dotted...this would save so much time...and they need MORE WOMEN Veteran reps...there has to be a better way for the system to get the care out there that the vets need...my heart goes out to all you guys that need the help and can't get it because you went in on the wrong day...

frustrating needless to say..

take care and again thank you for the web site and I will keep you posted I am going down to the VA office in town tomorrow to see what I can find out...(hummm it will be just my luck there will be someone new)