VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Feeling screwed

Rate this question

Black3018

Question

I was denied for my fully developed PTSD claim as being not service related. I went to the DAV to file my appeal but they suggested I get treatment and counseling first to establish a paper trail and to get evidence of service connection. After about 6 months of treatment I went to file my appeal. They said to do the reconsideration based on new evidence ( treatment notes and a letter from my VA therapist plus copies of my Purple Heart award) and file a NOD at the same time. In mid March a representative of the VA called and said that reconsideration can go through but i have to drop the nod. I dropped it and I've had a new c&p exam on April 8 and it's still in the gathering evidence phase. My appeal time is over may 25th. After doing more research on my own I discovered that a reconsideration doesn't exist in the VA and I'm pissed at myself for listening to the DAV. Will This be considered a new claim or will my original date of 2-24-15 still be there? I'm also thinking I should file my NOD to preserve my original date but not sure what this will do to my reconsideration. Any advice would be helpful. 

Thank you, but the one that looks down on me is the one that stares back at me in the mirror(and he never has anything nice to say either).
Every where I go, he's there to make sure I don't ever think better of myself, or that I'm as good as any other, either.

Andyman, like Black3018 said, you deserve everything. You volunteered to serve and, even if you weren't in combat, I'm sure you were in the field enough to start naming some of the critters that hung around the sites. I feel the same way, I was never in combat either (being a female, at the time we weren't allowed), but I sure as hell was in the field anywhere from 90-120 days a year. I was out in NTC at Ft Irwin when the lupus first flared up. My point is, Andy, I know you've mentioned some of your family don't understand how being a veteran affects you. Well, my answer to that is they didn't put their lives on the line to serve their country, you did, your an honorable man, so the face you see in the mirror is one of a man who cared enough about others to volunteer. You deserve everything your getting and then some. Dont let anyone ever tell you different.

Having a hard time of late but I felt compelled to respond to this thread.  I agree with all the above.  I felt the same way as I only dealt with the enemy while they were behind a cage, however, in situations like these, issues arise, and have an impairment on your life. Your experiences are no different and well qualify to have had and have an effect on you, just as if you were on the front line in the s@$!

I don't consider myself in the same league as folks that were on the ground during the first invasions and incursions before then in theater, but being in heightened  awareness, the fear of hostile activity, alarms, gun fire, rocket/mortar sounds ect, these things have the same effect in the long term, no matter how hard you try to forget and dismiss. No matter how hard you try!

Don't beat yourself up about it, it is what it is, the important thing, is to deal with the issue, seek medical care, and heal.  I'm not the best example, however, if anything, I have learned at least that. 

If a wrench thrower like me can beat the VA at their own game, you folks can as well.  Evidence, is what wins.  Remember that!  No matter how much the VA ignores evidence or at least tries to. Evidence will win, just gotta slap an IME here, an IMO there, and their own verified records.

A Purple Heart and the rater still ignored the obvious.  Fight my friend, you have the weapons to do so and you can win.  YOU WILL WIN!  

Good Luck Black.

Thanks everyone. Andy we all have that voice inside that instillation doubt in us and our abilities. To quote my platoon Sgt " tell that voice of doubt to shut the xxxx up and grab a rifle, only then will it know what's going" and your family will never understand but you have a new family that encompasses every man and woman that has ever worn the uniform. 

3 hours ago, Andyman73 said:

Thank you, but the one that looks down on me is the one that stares back at me in the mirror(and he never has anything nice to say either).
Every where I go, he's there to make sure I don't ever think better of myself, or that I'm as good as any other, either.

Hang in there Andy, that guy in the mirror is always the hardest critic and most times denies you credit when credit is due.