VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How do I get medical records???

Rate this question

ErinNick

Question

I am having the hardest time trying to get my husband's medical records.  He was hospitalized in GA before being medically discharged in 2004 due to adjustment and personality disorder.  He was again hospitalized in Waco, TX in 2013 where he was diagnosed with PTSD.  I've requested these records a couple of times, and I keep getting his DD-214 (which I have plenty of copies of) or the run around (files have been moved).  I now know why so many veterans give up in this big loop!!  Does anyone know a shortcut or have a contact who can help me?  I don't want to give up on my husband..

Are you talking about his service med records or his va treatment records?

If he has a claim pending, the SMRs (service records) could be at the VARO by now.

In any event have you tried www.archives.gov yet?

Click on the Veterans records button and he will need to fill out the  SF 180. I suggest he ask for all Personnel records too for his time in service.

Unless the site has changed, he will need to print off a bar coded thing from the Archives site, then he should sign it, make a copy of it, and mail it to where they say on the form.

It will take time to get them. I received a packet  from NARA ( National Archives) telling me that they had enclosed my husband's USN records, but his USMC military records were with the Buffalo VARO.

That is where they were supposed to be so I was glad to get that confirmed.

His VA medical records can be requested via the Privacy Act or Records Access Officer at the VAMC he uses.

SSA gets these records as well..if he has applied for SSDI or SSI ,but they usually send them back to where they got them from,once they make their decision..

11 minutes ago, silverdollar22 said:

Are you talking about his service med records or his va treatment records?

I guess it would be both.  In Georgia, he was in service at the time and in Texas, he was already out.  I'm still trying to learn the ropes, so sorry if I don't understand.

You can do several things, since it has been many years you can request for his military records. Here is the form and address, they request you do it in writing and it will take some time. http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/index.html

You can try to contact the hospitals where he was hospitalized and ask for the records section and then tell them your situation and ask them for where do they send their old medical records. Never give up, if you do VA wins.

If he has a claim in progress or files one, the VA will want his authorization to obtain any private medical records he has.

Has he contacted the Texas Facility himself to see how to get copies of those records?

In 2010 VA changed the PTSD regulations. He must obtain a PTSD diagnosis  from a VA MH health care provider . They will not accept a private

diagnosis under the 2010 regulations. Still, those records would be important to have.

Has he attempted to confirm his stressor?

The best stressor to list first, if there are many, is the one most easily verified.

Apparently his inservice diagnosis was changed by the Texas facility but the VA will have to determine PTSD...and if it is due to his service.

LOTS of info here on PTSD.

Edited by Berta