VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How do I get medical records???

Rate this question

ErinNick

Question

I am having the hardest time trying to get my husband's medical records.  He was hospitalized in GA before being medically discharged in 2004 due to adjustment and personality disorder.  He was again hospitalized in Waco, TX in 2013 where he was diagnosed with PTSD.  I've requested these records a couple of times, and I keep getting his DD-214 (which I have plenty of copies of) or the run around (files have been moved).  I now know why so many veterans give up in this big loop!!  Does anyone know a shortcut or have a contact who can help me?  I don't want to give up on my husband..

• HadIt.com Elder

Erin

If you guys live in Waco or close   go to the RO on Clay street  and request to see his c-file  of course he will nee d to be with you, if the clerk says you need or do you have an appointment, say no but we need to see his C-file  and ask for a supervisior   they will usually let you see it then...if its at your RO  C-Files Move around  but ask them to see if its there...no telling what they will tell you  but a supervisor will come more helping you. 

If you guys don't get to see it or they say its not there..ask if they could check on any STR's of your hubbys military service...probably not but ya never know  if you don't ask.

jmo

..............Buck

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

Erin

If you guys live in Waco or close   go to the RO on Clay street  and request to see his c-file  of course he will nee d to be with you, if the clerk says you need or do you have an appointment, say no but we need to see his C-file  and ask for a supervisior   they will usually let you see it then...if its at your RO  C-Files Move around  but ask them to see if its there...no telling what they will tell you  but a supervisor will come more helping you. 

If you guys don't get to see it or they say its not there..ask if they could check on any STR's of your hubbys military service...probably not but ya never know  if you don't ask.

jmo

..............Buck

Thanks Buck!  We're about 2 hours away from Waco in the Austin area, but we may need to resort to just showing up and demanding some answers!

• HadIt.com Elder

Your welcome Erin

here the link I read aboutm Robert  A (Bob) McDonald  the Secretary of VA

WASHINGTON — U.S. Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert A. McDonald said his agency will locate its national archives in Ohio by using two historic buildings on the VA clinic’s Dayton campus.

You can walk in to the Waco RO and ask for someone in Public Contact. You will go through the front doors, be screened by a metal detector, get a "Visitor" badge, tell the guard your business, turn left and go straight through to the Public Contact area where you will sign-in and wait in the waiting area to be seen (be sure and watch the nice TV that your taxes bought). You can ask for Phillip Wilson if he's there (he usually is). That's the supervisor in that area that I would talk to. He's a great guy, and will help you out in any way possible. It's usually not real busy down in that area.

Records from the Waco VA Hospital are managed by the Central Texas Veterans Healthcare System, which is a fancy way of saying that the Temple VA hospital manages them. If you drive in to Waco from Austin then you might stop in Temple to see if they can help you there. If they say no (they should be able to pull them up in seconds), then continue your drive to the Waco Regional Office. With the timeframe that you've given the records are in the hospital's electronic system (called CAPRI). If you've had no luck and you get to Waco than Phillip can certainly look them up as easily as anyone.

Did I just give up too much information about where I am close to, and retired from?:biggrin: