VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just approved for CPAC machine!!!

Rate this question

silverdollar22

Question

I just received a call from the va and they wanted to know when i could come in for my CPAC machine. I Did a 3 day home sleep study (because our va don't do that in house) requested by my va mdd doc and apparently it was approved.  After i get the machine what next?

Help please,

Eric

• HadIt.com Elder

Silver

The questions you ask  yes these are &  all or can be cause from S.A.

The hard part is getting them to state ''due to your military service''  there has to be a connection for service connection....this is hard to do for secondary due to Depression

JMO

.....................Buck

29 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

silver

Be sure to keep it clean, I soak my mask and hose in some shampoo hot water for couple hours  and then rinse out about 3 times and hang up and let dry..I do this 3 times a week & wipe off the mouth piece with some  fresh scent sanitized  hypoallgenic & alcohol free flushable wipes  right before bed.

clean your water reservoir daily....don't use abrasive soaps   rinse out with hot water and tab dry or let dry alone and wipe off with clean towel.

Its important to keep your mouth  mask  & hose clean....either one you choose.

jmo

......................Buck

I would add a couple of more things to what Buck as suggested.  The use of distilled water will make a marked difference in build up of minerals and thus keeping the machine working properly.   Also using distilled water is relatively cheap and will add countless longevity to the machines lifespan.  Be sure to clean your hoses and frequently change the filters as directed. The machine is literally a life saver.  JMO

BUCK, he is a  Psychiatrist and that's how i got SC for depression. I put in a claim for GW illness (joint pains, memory loss, fatigue) and was of course denied.  Not service connected even though i was in theater.  Then after some time passed i went to my PCP and complained about my lack of sleep anger issues and depressed feelings.  She referred me to MH and after many visits with both a psychologist and  Psychiatrist was put on meds.  The RO said my conditions from my claim for GWI are not GWI but depressive disorder and after my C&P was given a 50% decision. And that's the rest of the story!! 

Got my Cpap machine yesterday with the full mask because i'm a mouth breather. Wasn't all that bad the first night.  Woke up feeling a little better this morning which is a big help. My Psychiatrist visit friday went well. I tried to get him to say that my SA could be connected to my depression.  Won't know until the notes are posted on e-ben.  But i'm not going to give up on getting him to put something in his notes about this if he hasn't already.  Going to keep looking for a way to DX my SA to service.  My depression was DXed to service so could be that the SA could be DX to my depression? Have to wait and see.  BTY cool little machine!!!!

Some people like the humidity (adding distilled water to the CPAP), while I do not.  Its already plenty humid here, and I dont need more moisture.  I also like the nasal pillows.   But, use whatever combination works for you, not for me.  If one mask does not work for you, try another.  

Also, is the issue with heat with the CPAP...heating the air.  I generally use no heat or, sometimes heated air at the lowest setting.  Again, do what suits you the best.  

Dont forget to clean the inside of the CPAP mask and hose.   You may not realize this, but evertime you exhale, some of your DNA (lung, throat, etc) cells go into the hose, along with your moisture/mucus.  Its easy to see this happening on a very cold day when you can see your breath.   These dead skin cells and mucus, make a perfect growing media for both mold and bacteria.    Rememeber, your machine pulls in air from all around, including/especially other inhabitants, visitors, or animals in or near your home.  Your nasal passages help to expel this from your body, but the CPAP hose and mask serves as a nice growing media for all those bacteria and mold to multiply on.  The solution, of course, is frequent washing, especially the filter, the inside of the hose and mask, and the water reservoir.  

I wash mine once a week, but more often may be better, especially if you also use moisture.  

If you have a cold, wash your CPAP mask and hose each day.  

The doc can tweak your CPAP...he can raise or lower the pressure, and he can use a BIPAP or similar device.   I think there is also a variable CPAP that changes the pressure with your breaths, which your doc may or may not prescribe.    Communicate with him your concerns.  Write them down, if you must.

If you are away for the nite, bring your CPAP with you.  Most have a handy carrying case.  

When you apply for benefits, dont overlook secondary conditions to something already SC.  There is a strong link from sleep apnea to mental disorders, such as PTSD and depression.  Your VA doc may deny this link, but the science linking these is there.  So you may need an IMO/IME.  

Understand the CPAP is  a life saver.  Its much more than "just" not falling asleep during the day, even tho that can be a huge issue, for example, if you are driving.  If your O2 levels drop at nite, and this is the main reason your doc will prescribe the device, then that will cause damage to your heart and other organs.  Its as if someone is choking you each nite.  I think it was Reggie White (linebacker) who died from sleep apnea.  You stop breathing, and, one time Reggie white did not start breathing again.  

Its also important to your mental health.  You "recharge" during REM (rapid eye movement) sleep.  Some people with apnea never reach "rem" stage of sleep, because they are constantly being woken up not breathing.  No REM sleep is barely better than no sleep at all.  Its virtually impossible for you to be very mentally healthy without good sleep.  Sleeping problems is one of the symptoms of depression. 

My sleep doc pointed out that depression and sleep apnea symptoms are so similar, you can not always tell which one it its from just symptoms.   

Thanks a million Broncovet for the detailed insite!  I i'm using distilled water because they recommended it.  I will wash everything, but how do you clean that hose?  It's accordion effect seams impossible to clean.  I was given the newest version of machine that has the capability to adjust to my breathing and has wifi to the va along with a sd card. Big brother is watching. LOL!!! I'm glad to have this machine and at no cost.  Don't want to die from that and if i do hopefully my family will be taken care of, if it's SC!