VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just approved for CPAC machine!!!

Rate this question

silverdollar22

Question

I just received a call from the va and they wanted to know when i could come in for my CPAC machine. I Did a 3 day home sleep study (because our va don't do that in house) requested by my va mdd doc and apparently it was approved.  After i get the machine what next?

Help please,

Eric

The way I clean inside the CPAP hose is as follows.  I do it in the morning so it has time to dry, not evening.

1.  After removing the CPAP hose from machine, I squirt about a healthy squeeze of liquid soap directly inside the hose.   I turn on the Hot water, and wait till it gets hot.   I then put the hose right on my bathroom faucet, it fits perfectly and fill the hose about 1/4 full of water.  I remove hose from faucet and raise and lower the hose so the soapy water goes back and forth a few times, clear to each end (I clean mask and hose at the same time, and dont detach mask).  I then put the hose back on the bathroom faucet, with the other end of the cpap mask in the sink.  Again, I turn the hot water on, and let it run through the mask and hose rinsing it out, for about 1-2 minutes.  

I then dump out the water, after making sure the mask portion is clean also, scrubbing if necessary, then I hang it up to dry with hose and mask still attached.  (hose and mask attached may not work but with nasal pillows, it works great.    

Using distilled water and following the cleaning instructions for the most part should keep it working top notch. The filter is very important.  I have tried the washable filters with one company but it did not fair as well as the regular whitish ones.

I take my nose piece apart an even get between the second layer pillow. 

The water tank has a detachable plastic layer that helps when cleaning.  

One thing I will give credit to the VAMC when they were proving parts they did send me quality expendables.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I wash mine out the bathroom sink and fill with hot water and put a cap full of my shampoo in  wisk the water around and put my mask in it soak it  and the hose.

I have a 8 ft hose I use and  just submerge it in the water until you can get all you can in it and take it out put both thumbs/fingers over each end and work it back and forth a few times and empty the hose  and do this one more time, then  just rinse the house out with hot water the same way two times   hang up and let dry  same with the mask,,

I do this 2  /3 times a week and every night I wipe the mouth mask out inside and out with a clean sanitized fresh scent washable throw away pad every night.

........Buck

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Replace filters once  monthly is what the Sleep clinic mention.

Thanks guys, i do appreciate all the good tips.  Don't want to be breathing bad junk in at night.  BTY second night was a little worse than the first with my wife waking me up a few times saying that something is wrong with your mask!! I guess the sound of it not making contact with my face properly will make a loud noise. Hopefully it will get better with time.  Thanks again.