VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

bladder cancer due to AO possible ?

Rate this question

Berta

Question

https://www.propublica.org/article/vietnam-vets-push-va-to-link-bladder-cancer-to-agent-orange

This recent article reveals from a Vietnam vet  how reluctant the VA is to SC anything that is not on the AO presumptive list.

But the recent IOM report might eventually get this disability on the list.

The vet says in the article he had IMOs but still they would not SC...I can only wonder if those IMOs lacked a strong medical rationale with some med citations.

In any event it would be wonderful if vets with bladder cancer could be SCed under the AO regs.

I never dreamed I would live long enough to ever see IHD on the AO presumptive list.

Nothing is impossible. The IOM report here somewhere does find a limited suggestion that AO could cause Bladder cancer.

It all depends on what VA does next in interpreting that report.

2 answers to this question

Bumping this up:

We have had some AO exposed vets here who have bladder cancer.

Secretary Shulkin is making a decision on any possible new presumptives soon..(hopefully)

If you are an AO vet with bladder cancer, why not take the time to write to the Secretary and tell him why your cancer should become presumptive. Tell him if there is no major cancers in your family and that you have no other etiology you know of medically, for the cancer. Tell him you are unable to afford an independent medical opinion and tell him if VA has already denied your  claim.***

(Some bladder cancer disabilities have been service connected to AO:

This is one of them- I think there are 'some' but dont have time to check at the BVA)

https://www.va.gov/vetapp16/files3/1620205.txt

Secretary David Shulkin   

Veterans Administration.                                                                              

810 Vermont Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20420

Veterans who took the bull by the horns, to prove their ship in 7th fleet was exposed to AO ,during the war ,have caused a growing AO ships list , available here, and I update if I get new ships added.

If veterans can do something like that, (and I sure commend these AO vets) I feel veterans can also make a difference in so many other ways.

*** I made a very strong point recently to both Secretary Shulkin and President Trump that vets  and their survivors often have to obtain very costly independent medical opinions, and/or  independent exams, to get a thorough reading of their medical history , in order to combat negative C & P examiner's opinions. The BVA web site supports that. 

The backlog is due , in great part, to the fact that without a strong IMO, a claim, that is fully valid, might be in the system for YEARS, on appeal -yet an expert in the field could potentially give a full medical rationale that would completely reverse the denial of the claim.  ...except it would be- in many cases- very costly to the veteran...and is something they might never be able to obtain.

This is a beauty:

ORDER

Service connection for bladder cancer is granted.

Service connection for kidney cancer is granted.

Service connection for prostate cancer is granted.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp17/files7/1740920.txt

Granted due to AO exposure and many strong IMO/IME opinions.

I get angry when I have to suggest IMO/IMEs (which I know can be quite expensive)but I know that is often the only way to succeed.

This vet would have been denied again and again ,without those independent medical opinions.

If Bladder cancer does become a presumptive, he might even  get a better EED if there is a new Footnote  One to a new Nehmer court order.