VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Noftifying VA of retirement from job

Rate this question

JDMilw

Question

I just received a rating of 100% for lung cancer.  I am going thru radiation treatment now and will complete it this Friday.

I am retiring from my job with the Postal Service at the end of May.  I am 64 years old.

Should I notify the VA of my retirement and will my retirement effect how long I will receive 100%?

Thanks.

Joe

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

There aren't really instructions, per se' If your condition is stable for a period of time (some guys/gals wait a year or two after a rating and then submit a claim for P&T status), or if, in my case, you've  had a condition that has been rated for quite some time and has increased incrementally over the years it may be lumped on at the end. I didnt request mine but I did file for IU a year and a half ago. When it was decided I was IU for a few months and then a separate line on my rating letter indicated that I was then converted to 100% schedular and P&T was put with it with no request on my part. Ive been through the ringer with depression and anxiety secondary to other things since I was diagnosed MH in 2011, though, so that may have contributed. My treatment notes over the years helped, im sure, by providing history. 

All in all, though, relax for a bit, and adjust. There is a mental component to being told that you are 100%. Seeing it on paper is both a relief and a curse. Im 39. It was quite a blow and I wavered back and forth between relieved and crushed for a few weeks. Also, retro. Put it away, at least part of it. The Corvette will still be there. :-)

Edited by brokensoldier244th

I apologize for not updating my situation sooner.

I received my official rating letter from the VA on May 9th.  They awarded me 100%.

In the area "What We Decided" it states in part.............

"Since there is a likelihood of improvement, the assigned evaluation is not considered permanent and is subject to a future review examination".

I have no idea about how long the 100% rating will last or when I might expect a future review examination.

I will be sure to update this post as more information is made available to me.

Thanks to all of you for your input.