VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

This could begin a new VA backlog

Rate this question

Meddac

Question

If VA adds bladder cancer to the list of conditions presumptive to Agent Orange exposure then it could spell backlog (and Nehmer) once again for VA. Possibly a smaller backlog, but nonetheless a backlog. It's currently under review by VA once again.

https://www.propublica.org/article/vietnam-vets-push-va-to-link-bladder-cancer-to-agent-orange

I know there are many different pushes to have conditions or service areas added, but in my experience with VA they will attempt to take the smaller groups first. Go figure.

• HadIt.com Elder

Even though I had an adjudicated and service connected A.O. related condition, and proved "feet on ground", the VA did not place me on the registry.

Finally, the Nehmer lawyers got involved, because the VA had failed to place thousands of veterans on the list. As I remember, the court placed the VA in contempt, but did not penalize them for it. These days, it seems to be sort of a moot issue, given all the other problems with the VA. Of more concern is the VA's continuing stance regarding blue water vs brown water, and the refusal to recognize that not a few veterans were likely exposed to Dioxin contamination at various stateside bases before they were sent overseas.

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

yes I agree a veteran still needs to file a claim for a disease caused from his exposure to A.O. while serving in the military,  that's obvious 

Here is what the A.O. Registry is for 

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/benefits/registry-exam.asp

4 hours ago, Buck52 said:

From what I was told  if a veteran is put into the AO Registry   it helps  with a claim if he/she ever needs to file a claim for AO or the Presumption  with no time limit.

so my point is if veterans was ever exposed to AO in Vietnam or elsewhere and come down with a diseases of A.O. it would be the AO List it saves a lot of time with a claim.

Buck, having been employed at the Regional Office for many years I can firmly say that being on the  AO registry means absolutely nothing in regards to a claim for benefits. The RO employees may or may not see that your in the registry, but they pay absolutely no attention to it.

The worst "new backlog" seems to have been created with the "hurry up and reduce the backlog, the elections are coming up" attitude, which now means there is a severe APPEAL backlog also.   For many, the reduction of the backlog means that there claim is now denied, and in a 4 year appeal backlog.

A "new" claim can move along fairly quickly..in a matter of a year or maybe even 6 months.  

Do you agree with Alex Graham, Meddac, that 85% of first time claimaints are denied?  The VA will count a 0% rating as an award, but I was never even able to buy a Big Mac with my zero percent rating, so I count it as a denial.   And, as pointed out, the ubiquitous "NSC" rating is also a denial, as that means service connection was denied.  (Please do not consider a "NSC Pension Award", in your 85% denial rate).   

2 hours ago, broncovet said:

The worst "new backlog" seems to have been created with the "hurry up and reduce the backlog, the elections are coming up" attitude, which now means there is a severe APPEAL backlog also.   For many, the reduction of the backlog means that there claim is now denied, and in a 4 year appeal backlog.

A "new" claim can move along fairly quickly..in a matter of a year or maybe even 6 months.  

Do you agree with Alex Graham, Meddac, that 85% of first time claimaints are denied?  The VA will count a 0% rating as an award, but I was never even able to buy a Big Mac with my zero percent rating, so I count it as a denial.   And, as pointed out, the ubiquitous "NSC" rating is also a denial, as that means service connection was denied.  (Please do not consider a "NSC Pension Award", in your 85% denial rate).   

Looks as though you'd like my stance on things? It might not make any friends for me, but I pride myself on honesty:

1. I agree that the Appeal backlog is horrible. My stance is that the Appeal backlog is not going to be addressed satisfactorily anytime soon.  VA cannot survive without some sort of backlog, and they create these backlogs to ensure that they have a job tomorrow.

2. The reduction of the backlog is moving along at a steady pace. My stance is that VA is adding hundreds of new employees monthly that have little or no work because of the backlog reduction so look for VA to create some messes (backlogs) to ensure that they can keep employees working.

3. I agree that a LARGE percentage of first time claims are denied. I do not have solid stats so I cannot give exact figures.

4. I do think that a 0% award is not a full victory, but it is not a denial It's a shaky grant of medical care that some Veterans do make claims for (medical care only). My stance is that VA does this to clear claims off of the books faster so they can put forth a false image to stakeholders while saying "Hey, we are giving care to Veterans".

5. I also have never seen a Veteran buy a Big Mac with a 0% award. I have seen Veterans buy illegal drugs with 10% awards though. My stance is that making a claim for pure financial benefit is not what the Veterans Administration was started for. It was started to fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's veterans. I agree that this is a different age however, and that monetary awards should be given to Veterans for the battles that they endured by serving. I do not agree that a Veteran should go into the process with dollar signs in their eyes.

6. I Fully agree that an NSC rating is a denial although there are some Veterans who only apply for Pension benefits. I do not consider the Pension Award in the denial rate for that reason.

I have seen a lot of things in my years at the VA, some good and some very bad. The VA employs too many people, the Union is destroying it internally, and it's far too top-heavy to support itself. Personnel are not positioned to do the most good for the customer (Veterans), and that is one of the reasons that the Appeal backlog rages out of control. The VA thinks that a college degree (mostly Masters degrees) make good employees, but there is no course taught in college that can prepare you for employment in an organization such as VA. Most of those have never served a day in their life, and they attain higher positions quickly (The RO Director here is not even a Veteran).

Up higher, the VA is nothing but a money grab game. People in and around the VA in DC are constantly applying for a higher position to attain wealth as well as more power. This results in changes that happen more often because of the high turnover of positions from VA Central Office all the way to Washington. New ideas, new plans, and new strategies come with the new faces and bogus positions.

I could go on all day long. The VA is BROKEN. It takes organized groups to make small inroads into their faulty practices and ideas. I often wonder what Hadit.com would look like as a Veteran Service Organization. Enough Veterans are serviced here every day so it wouldn't be a lack of customers at all.

Washington is not going to change the VA so drastically that it ever improves that much. They will make small changes that they cannot enforce because they have regulated themselves into a corner. If they did fix the VA then some of the "hats" in DC would be out of a job, and they can't justify that at all.

I apologize if anyone is offended or does not agree with me. I really try to always keep an open mind. This just happens to be where my mind is at today. It is not my intention to offend anyone.

Edited by Meddac

• HadIt.com Elder
5 hours ago, Meddac said:

Buck, having been employed at the Regional Office for many years I can firmly say that being on the  AO registry means absolutely nothing in regards to a claim for benefits. The RO employees may or may not see that your in the registry, but they pay absolutely no attention to it.

Well maybe so...I know when I return from 2 tours of Nam  back in 1970 There were no A.O. Registry  it was back in the late 90's I heard about it and around 2001 or so My VA PCP mention it to me...so he set me up an A.O. Exam...and was placed in the Registry  at that time (2001)....and I thought it was a good thing.

So now  according to you all maybe it was not such a good thing,?

but I am in it in case I come down with a disease caused  or likey as not caused from A.O.  

I realize a veteran still needs to file a claim for AO. if he believes A.O. has caused his disease years later.....being in the A.O. registry is  suppose to unclear a lot of RED TAPE for the A.O. Exposed Veterans.

That was what I was told by my  VA PCP back in 2001  and then he was deployed to Iraq.

Its just like theRO's to not mention this to the veterans so I believe you Meddac