VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

1151 Spine Claim

Rate this question

63Charlie

Question

In 2007, I went to the VA because I was having back pain.

A thoracic MRI was ordered.

Two different VA doctors said they reviewed my MRI and that it was normal.

Kept working in construction and kept complaining to the VA about back pain.

They sent me to another VA doctor that said I had a small fatty cell lipoma in my right scapular area.of my back.

I asked him if this was causing the pain and he said that they are usually painless.

I was hurting all of the time and called them(VA) and said I'm tired of the back pain and I want the thing cut out.

I was getting nowhere with them so I started taking OTC meds for chronic pain,

Three years roll by and I'm still valiantly trying to keep up doing my construction job in agony.

Stepped in a pot hole on a job site, twisted my kneed badly, and ripped my right meniscus on my knee and had a MCL sprain.

Knee never healed back right so I was unable to return to my former job involving heavy manual labor..

I decided I needed to file for SSDI.

Gathered my VA records and records from private docs for SSDI.

Got a copy of my MRI from 2007 on my back and the radiologist reported multiple herniated discs abutting my spinal cord in my thoracic spine.

All of my suffering and chronic pain complaints and not one VA doctor read my radiology report.

This is a clear case of medical negligence.

My spine is a total wreck now, Got a consult in two weeks with an ortho spine surgeon.

I currently think I have about nine herniated discs, and some are causing marked spinal cord compression, and many neurological abnormalities, scoliosis, loss of cervical lordosis from all the muscle spasms, numbness in my extremities, and more.

Thanks to VA  doctors I kept doing heavy lifting at work. believing their diagnosis until it was too late for my spine.

This line of work accelerated the progression of my IVDS.

It's too late.

I'm screwed for the rest of my pain-ridden life.

Andyman73,  A hell of a lot better then the Vets are treated in the U.S.  In Germany for example, if a doctor has not looked at the veterans file, or refuses to accept the medical information a vet has provided at the exam, he likely would be suspended.  If a doctor or doctors engaged in the medical quackery that  63Charlie went thru, they would be suspended upon investigation, then fired.  Also a good chance that criminal charges would be brought against the doctor or doctors.  Germany doesn't screw around.  They hold the veterans in a very high position, and to screw over a  veteran can cost you dearly. 

It's interesting to learn how other countries do it.  Especially since there is a mandatory service requirement in many if not most other countries.

Andyman said:

"Makes you wonder how other countries treat their Veterans".

I always wonder what other countries think of the way the USA treats

OUR veterans.

Berta,

I never even considered that.  I recently met a former Soviet Bloc soldier, now U.S. citizen 20 years.  He did his time in the Czech Army.  His personal opinion is that it's an utter disgrace how the 'land of the free and home of the brave' treats it's Veterans.  Said back home they had respect for their Vets, were taught that in school.  He said that things improved after the fall of the USSR.

Andy

Semper Fi

Andy, it amazes me that that we still have enlistment quotas that are reached every year by the Military branches.

I think Love of Country is why men and women like my daughter (who were aware of the BS of the VA due to their parent's problems ), still join the armed Services .

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation."

President George Washington

Berta,

Some of us just can't not serve.  I grew up with it, and 5 generations before me, did serve as well. 

At the end of the day, I know I did my duty, served my country, got the t-shirt to prove it.

Semper Fi