VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Most Inept Organization On The Planet?

Rate this question

gs106

Question

I filed a NOD on VA Form 21-0958 and on that form...Part III - Appeal Process Election, Block 9. Select One Of The Appeals Processing Methods Below 

I put an X in the block beside Decision Review Officer (DRO) Review Process.  

Pretty clear right?  Apparently not.  Today I received a letter that begins:  Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX:  We received your written disagreement with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) decision of April 14, 2016.  This letter describes what happens next:  A few paragraphs down...How Do I Select DRO or Traditional Appeal Process?  You must notify us within sixty (60) days from the date of this letter whether you want to have your case reviewed by the DRO or by the traditional appeal process.  If we do not hear from you within 60 days, your case will be reviewed under the traditional appeal process.

Do they do this to get veterans so frustrated they will just give up or is it their way of passing as many cases as possible to the BVA and reducing the workload at the RO?  Surely they can't be so incompetent that they can't read their own form.

Should I spend another $7.15 to once again tell them that I want a DRO review or should I attempt to contact someone via email, call Peggy, etc.?  Contacting the VSO is not a good option.

Edited by gs106
Question

GS106  Did you notice what the return address  was and what was the zip code mailed from?

The reason I ask is due to the fact when I received my reply from VA to my NOD, The return address on the upper left side reflected "Janesville WI; then by accident, I noticed the ZIP Code and it was actually mailed from VARO in Reno NV.

Then, upon further investigation, I peeled the "white" return address off and lo and behold, it was actually a pre-printed envelope with VARO, RENO, NV address....    

As  for spending $7.15...They should have included information on where you can send/ fax it to.  

Pay special attention to this cause my understanding is everything now goes to Janesville, WI and they in-turn forward it to the regional VARO.

What state are you located in??

• HadIt.com Elder

After all these years I think the VA just does not give a &^%$ about your claims or medical conditions.    Everything they do is to make things more easy on themselves or to save money.  It is an endurance contest.  Either you crack or they eventually submit your evidence and claims and one day you get paid.   It does seem  like it is on purpose and maybe it is to discourage vets from filing.   It took me eight years to go from VARO to Federal Court on a CUE claim.   I don't advise that unless you are very young and already have 100% P&T.

You can try emailing or calling, but I would not expect much.  I think I would spend the $7.15 to give VA exactly what they asked for, even tho they should have it already.  The VA will simply delay your claim if you dont give them what they ask for, even if you already sent it.  Rememember, with all the shreddergate going on, half of your nod could have easily gotten shredded.  

Thomas, it was mailed from the Columbia, SC office - return address and zip confirmed.  They also included the "Where to send your written correspondence" page and it still says I should send it to Newnan, GA.  That is where I sent the NOD and it was forwarded to Janesville, WI.  

When I sent the NOD I attached a plain sheet of paper with my explanation of disagreement as an addendum to block 12a of the VA Form 21-0958.  The letter I received today included a VA Form 21-4138 (Statement in Support of Claim).  Is that what I should have used as a continuation of block 12a or was the way I did it acceptable? Thanks

17 minutes ago, john999 said:

After all these years I think the VA just does not give a &^%$ about your claims or medical conditions.  

John, its not that the VA does not give a shit about you, I would like to think that MOST VA employees do a fantastic job.  However, they have quite a few inept employees. 

As we all know, the VA rules/regulations are very complex. Some employees have no clue how to tie a VA

claim in with the regulations.

Everything they do is to make things more easy on themselves or to save money.  It is an endurance contest.  Either you crack or they eventually submit your evidence and claims and one day you get paid.   It does seem  like it is on purpose and maybe it is to discourage vets from filing.   It took me eight years to go from VARO to Federal Court on a CUE claim.   I don't advise that unless you are very young and already have 100% P&T.

2 hours ago, gs106 said:

Thomas, it was mailed from the Columbia, SC office - return address and zip confirmed.  They also included the "Where to send your written correspondence" page and it still says I should send it to Newnan, GA.  That is where I sent the NOD and it was forwarded to Janesville, WI.  

When I sent the NOD I attached a plain sheet of paper with my explanation of disagreement as an addendum to block 12a of the VA Form 21-0958.  The letter I received today included a VA Form 21-4138 (Statement in Support of Claim).  Is that what I should have used as a continuation of block 12a or was the way I did it acceptable? Thanks

GS-- My understanding is that they shut down the Newnan,GA Facility and now ALL paperwork is being handled by

the facility in Janesville, WI . AND THEY FUNNEL IT BACK TO THE RO.       Well, as long as you put your VA claim number on the "plain sheet of paper" and signed it, you did it right..  Don't be surprised if they lost the paper..  As for the 21-4138 form, I would complete it with the information that you sent on the "plain sheet of paper".    

I would FAX the 21-4138 to Janesville AND Mail one to the RO in Columbia(Return Receipt Requested) 

That way, you have the bases covered..  Just my opinion