VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What is the best method to solve a problem at VA?

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Im asking this question especially for Meddac, as many, many Vets have an unsolved glitch in their benefit claim.  

A great example is what to do about an unreasonable delay, where little or nothing is happening on your claim for an extended period.    Some possible optiions, for example, if your claim is more than a year old and never adjuticated:

POSSIBLE WAYS YOU CAN SOLVE A PROBLEM AT VA: 

1.  IRIS email.  Ask status of your claim, and inquire why, when Alison Hickey resolved to get one and two year old claims completed, yours has not been completed.  Be respectful and dont "attack". 

2.  Send a 21-4138 asking for status of claim.

3.  Contact your VSO.  (This is not easily done, as many simply do not return Vets calls). 

4.  Call your RO.  Again this is often an exercise in futility.  "Calling Peggy"..the 1-800 number is so useless I dont even have the number anymore. 

5.  Check ebenefits.  Make sure you dont even think that ebenefits is accurate or reliable.  

6.  Email Bob, or the undersecretary who filled in Allison Hickeys position. 

7.  Contact your congress critter.  Most Vets advocates say this rarely works. 

8.  Berta has a list of many phone/fax numbers for various RO's.  

9.  I personally have the email of my RO director, referred to by Allison.  For me, it was pretty much ineffective.  He did push some things along, but pretty much nothing positive came of it.  It mostly resulted in denials, but it was at least finally went to the Board.   Even a denial is better than endless delay..at least you can appeal, and get somewhere.  

10.  Go to your RO.  This was also largely ineffective for me, but others have gotten things at least moving by showing up.  

11.  File a Writ of mandamus at the CAVC.  This drastic measure should only happen if everything else is tried and fails.  

12.  Something else not listed above.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Changes at the VA must come from the top and after 70 years of abuse since WW11 how likely is that in my life time? 50 years from now maybe they will fix it but unless there is another world war I doubt it.

My grandmother got cheated out of A&A as did my mother who was a WWII spouse.  Both times the VA said they could not find the records of my grandfather who served before WW1 and my father's recods that were "burned up" in the fire at St. Louis.    I found my grandfather's records in a special archive for pre-WWI vets.  I have the most intact record of my father's service just from his letters from France and Germany in 1944-45.

One thing I have seen get results locally is for a veteran to go to one of the local television stations and ask them for help in finding out what is delaying their claim.  That seems to get the VA folks attention more than anything else.  They seem to be very shy when it comes to negative media attention and try really hard to turn the spotlight off.

Thank you for your response Meddac.  I was kind of hoping VA would read this and actually care and do something about the problems plaguing Veterans, which sometimes lead to Veteran homelessness, Veteran suicide, or both.  

They need an "ask Bob" in every RO.  Vets need to be able to send an email to someone who will actually read it, and at least respond, and have the authority to actually fix the problem.  You know, like Allison Hickey, except on a RO level.  

• HadIt.com Elder

What I don't  understand about broncovet 

appeal claim/claims for his correct EED.

IS how the VA is so fast to deny him , its obvious they don't read his appeal Notice of Disagreement and take no action on it other than a denial.

When a Veteran does everything correct according to the VA and CFR's to correct the VA Decision sending in favorable  and crucial evidence/new and material  evidence to prove his case and nothing is done about it and a BS denial is sent,and this goes on for years....even after all the courts BVA  Remands&so called proper channels , ect,,ect,,

I'd send Bob McDonald an email and address it to him ONLY,After pleading with the congress critters and Bob himself and still no action taken and they are just wanting the Veteran to bow out and stop and give up....After years and years of  back and forth from the VA &nothing is accomplished for the Veteran.

I believe the RO just sits there and shakes there head...hummm   ok just deny.

Maybe its time to send the President a letter to get some action...this would help thousands of other veterans in this same Situation. REMIND THE PRESIDENT WHAT PRESIDENT A Lincoln MENTION YEARS AGO ABOUT THE VETERAN his spouse and child.

Years and years go by for a veteran and still has not completely had his claim fully adjudicated  is absolutely BS.

jmo

..................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

A vet tried to fly his ultralight airplane onto the White House grounds to deliver some news to the Prez.   He will be spending 4 months in jail and lucky to be alive.  He lost his job at the USPS, of course.  I bet he got workers compensation or disability retirement for being a nut.