VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security disability

Rate this question

harrysday

Question

Hey all I am 47 y/o 100%tp and I get a disability pension from my local civil service firefighter job that I worked at for 20 years and during that time I worked a side job that I paid into social security would I qualify for benefits of ssdi thanks for the help in this adventure

Lets see on mine the psych eval was on April 4th and by April 26th I received the SSDI denial.

oh forgot to state I applied Aug of 2015.

Edited by ArNG11
Forgot some info.

On 5/13/2016 at 6:45 PM, TALON II FE said:

How long until you receive your first decision from them after your exams were complete?

I had to file for SSDI as a requirement for FERS disability retirement.  I was front loading by the SSA under their "warrior program".  Fortunately, I never had to go thru SSA medical evaluations.  They simply used my VA medical diagnosis and records.  The wait period is at least six months as a disbled individual.  I had more luck with a first time go with SSA.  I knew within 3 months that I'd receive my SSDI. Stay optimistic and don't give up!!  SSDI is yours, you paid into it!!

On 5/8/2016 at 11:04 AM, ArNG11 said:

Your VA benefits can't be used against you in a sense.  

Just out of curiosity, you are saying that when you applied for SSDI, the social security office -did not- deny you SSDI, ever?  Because I applied for SSDI and they said that I don't need the cash because I'm supposedly getting enough money from the VA.

EDIT:  Sorry I was thinking of "SSI", which is an addition to SSDI.  I receive "SSDI" like these other fellas but was denied "SSI"

Edited by Cliche Magnet

9 minutes ago, Cliche Magnet said:

Just out of curiosity, you are saying that when you applied for SSDI, the social security office -did not- deny you SSDI, ever?  Because I applied for SSDI and they said that I don't need the cash because I'm supposedly getting enough money from the VA.

I got denied right off the bat. Just because the VA states your unemployable doesn't mean that SSA has to or is going to follow suit. They denied me the second time as well.  I'm in agreement with MPsgt the SSDI you paid into, if you're disabled by more than one agency the other should follow suit, however, different rules different ball game. I find that unfortunate. 

Edited by ArNG11

10 minutes ago, Cliche Magnet said:

EDIT:  Sorry I was thinking of "SSI", which is an addition to SSDI.  I receive "SSDI" like these other fellas but was denied "SSI"

Gotcha I was denied both, for one I am no where near the age requirement, however the other is and should be a different matter. 

20 minutes ago, Cliche Magnet said:

SSI will be denied if you're receiving SSDI, VA SC, FERS, CSRS, most retirements, and any combination of the above.