VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Tid bit of good news

Rate this topic

ArNG11

10 minutes ago, flores97 said:

ArNG11, Congratulations on the great news!! If you don't mind, could you give a brief review of how to apply for having student loans forgiven, my ex husband is also a veteran, and just discovered he has diabetes as well. He is stressing over how he will repay his loans, any advice at all would be appreciated, and don't give up on the SSDI, I just received my second denial as well and filed appeal online.  Thanks in advance!

The process is different in some aspects for different lenders, however, below is how my process was done.  Once I received the IU rating, I got that together with my federal retirement (medically retired) and sent the permanent rating on my hands to my lender.   discussed my status. Once  I notified the lender, Nelnet in my case, they suspended my payments, I was paying until recently.  The process started and if I am correct took about 90 days total.  I had two communications from the lender in the interim.  Once to acknowledge they received the Loan forgiveness application and the other was to inform me that they had received all the necessary information.  Of course the last was the notification of discharge.  The letter stated it could take some to time to process but all should be completed within 120 days.

Thank you, ArNG11, I really appreciate the advice and I will let my ex know, he is not service connected, but he does have a few serious health conditions, he was over in Iraq but will not file for VA benefits. I'm not certain they will approve him unless he is actually connected, but perhaps just the fact that hes been diagnosed with the conditions he has will be sufficient, as well I'm certain his doctors would complete any necessary forms for him. Thanks again!!

I would quote the letter but the essence was " congratulations, the disability division has reviewed your application and your application has been approved."  

The letter describes the process and gives a couple of warnings and reminders about the tax implications.  The forgiven debt will count as income and suggests to talk to a tax professional about the implications.

The fact that I stayed in contact with my lender and informed them on my status was a great help I believe.  When you qualify for this benefit, by all means take advantage of the opportunity.  

Thanks Bronco, Buck, and everyone else.   You folks are right, one less worry, and one heck of large pressure off on my chest.  

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use