VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Attorney Telephone Consultation

Rate this question

63Charlie

Question

Had bad vibes from an attorney today while seeking someone to help me with my claims..

Bad Vibe#1.;

Was given a date and time that we would have the phone consultation, and he was 45 minutes late calling me.

If I am NOT important enough for him to be PUNCTUAL at the beginning of our dealings, I'm thinking it will only get worse after I sign the contract allowing him to represent me.

Bad Vibe #2;

I ALWAYS like to meet someone face to face before I decide to use their services.

Wanting to do it by phone seems too impersonal, and made me seem insignificant.

Plus, I like to get a read on somebody by their facial expressions and body language.

Bad Vibe #3;

2. He is telling me he is sure he can get me at least 70% and TDIU for my PTSD that was granted but not service connected.

Told me he has great doctors to file an IMO, and get my rating service connected and and at a ratable 70% disability.

He isn't God, and has no idea what's in my C-File, and to tell me this, scares me.

Bad Vibe #4;

3. Cost

His charge will be 30% of award of compensation.

He also said I would have to pay a cost for IMO of $2000.00.

I said "Why do you charge 30%?"

He said, "Because I am worth it."

He's mailing the contract  for my signature.

Something tells me it will have disclaimers, hidden fees, and a lot of stuff that will really be bad.

Currently the VA  granted a 1151 claim based on negligence, for anxiety and depression @ 50%.

I have two more open claims.

One is 1151 for spine, the other is tinnitus/hearing loss.

Checked Ebenefits and  the decision letter on the tinnitus/hearing is in the mail

I didn't see a new disability added, so it must be a denial letter.

So.... they going to deny a tinnitus claim by a person that worked on 671 Detroit Diesels as a mechanic for almost two years?

The attorney seemed disinterested in the spine, and other claims.

I told him the spine claim has been deferred, and he asked if the VA has done a C&P for my spine. I told him, no.

Attorney told me he'll file a NOD on the PTSD non-service connection, and get a copy of my C-File.

Seemed to me that is where he is focused , on the PTSD.

I don't know why.

I'm near Orlando.

Any suggestions/recommendations for a law firm besides Hill and Ponton?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

It's a fact.  Lawyers don't do "warm and fuzzy".  However, some specialize in PTSD, and know what it takes to get such a claim through the process.

To you ... it's personal, as it should be.

To them ... it's a well-worn process.  No emotions.

30% is on the high side, although that is what I am giving up for my MH condition, for an expert in the field.  The IMO, should come out of that 30%, imvho.

Benching your pursuit of those claims (other than the PTSD claim), is strategic in nature.  Wait until you get 70% for PTSD (the going rate), and then pursue your other claims.  Don't want to have one claim "jamming" the system, postponing the VA decision on the PTSD.

I'm going with my gut feelings and finding an attorney elsewhere.

Based on my previous experiences, and weighing the outcomes, I'm trusting my gut feelings

A consultation is scheduled with a different attorney on Friday.

I choose to live my life with "no regrets".

as for an attorney calling you late, he could have been in court and he was running late. he could have been in a conference with a client and ran late. i would expect lawyers to be more late than on time.