VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Changed Rating From Mdd To Ptsd

Rate this question

JakeMedicRN

Question

On December 5, 2011 at 1:30 AM, Tbird said:

No. 1 if you are competent fight the incompetence issue, you don't need the hassle.

MDD vs PTSD, here's the thing as I understand it. Depression is part of PTSD, though that doesn't mean you can't have a diagnosis of MDD and a separate diagnosis of PTSD. I have two diagnosis MDD and PTSD it pays the same. From what you described that would be enough to give many PTSD, I wouldn't worry to much about switching from MDD to PTSD, PTSD encompasses a lot of things besides depression, though as in my case you may a separate clearly diagnosable separate problem. But like I said it pays the same.

Don't know if I am going to get another reply to this 5 year old thread. I was recently told by my VSO that I shouldn't claim Combat Related PTSD. I'm rated 50% MDD and a few other medical things adding up to 60%. I was denied a claim for PTSD in 2007.  Reevaluated by VA in 2010, when I was actually told by the mental health evaluator, "Don't you even realize you have PTSD?" I don't know if there are any medics out there that had been like me, just kind of powering through the stuff we'd seen and "poopooing" it off as just depression and guilt. So I did some research and found that that's the norm while on active duty and after; most in the medical field manifest depressive type symptoms (therefore) may not even think they have PTSD, like myself, because the depression was severe. In my case, I am kind of bitter about how VA didn't even rate my PTSD at 0% or anything, instead on my eBenefits page PTSD isn't even on there it's NSC! Non-Service-Connected?! WTF!? I told my VSO rep, real nice lady and all, but I told her for all this time, I never addressed my PTSD symptoms and could've helped myself earlier deal with stuff had I known, but what takes the cake is not even getting PTSD acknowledged by the VA as service connected-COMBAT RELATED. Should I refile for PTSD? Please advise, thank you.  

3 answers to this question

• Founder

JakeMedicRN 

i moved this to a separate topic to get more views. I understand your feelings on this. As far as VA compensation is concerned mdd and ptsd do pay the same, and from a ratings point of view it makes little difference. However as far as your treatment plan with the VA hospital it can make a difference in your meds and your therapy.

Tbird is sure correct.....the wrong DX can mean the wrong meds and treatment...

I have mentioned here MANY times that a vet should not get locked into a PTSD- only contention...they must raise every potential theory of entitlement , unless their military experience fully complies with the "Fear of" and/or "close proximity" to hostile action as within the 2010 PTSD regulations.  Those regs are available here under a search.

If you have the PH, CIB or CAR on your DD 214 and/or are an incountry OEF OIF veteran, they might have erred on the combat status...

But VA wont pay for 2 MH claims, anyhow.... they only pay for one.

You need to see if you can get the MDD rating higher,if you feel that is wrong.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 8:23 AM, JakeMedicRN said:

In my case, I am kind of bitter about how VA didn't even rate my PTSD at 0% or anything, instead on my eBenefits page PTSD isn't even on there it's NSC! Non-Service-Connected?! WTF!? I told my VSO rep, real nice lady and all, but I told her for all this time, I never addressed my PTSD symptoms and could've helped myself earlier deal with stuff had I known, but what takes the cake is not even getting PTSD acknowledged by the VA as service connected-COMBAT RELATED. Should I refile for PTSD? Please advise, thank you.  

Hi Jake,

My C&P examiner rated me with "Anxiety Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified" even though my VA Psychiatrist diagnosed me with Combat Related PTSD.  I filed a notice of disagreement and asked that the rating of Anxiety Disorder, NOS, be changed to Combat Related PTSD based on my VA diagnosis of Combat PTSD and on my VA treatment notes.

I was granted the diagnosis of Combat Related PTSD based on my treatment notes and diagnosis.  The only reason I wanted it changed was I'd been seeing several articles that were noting higher rates of heart issues in veterans with PTSD, and I thought that if I died of a heart related issue, that it could possibly be linked to my PTSD, which would service connect my death and provide additional benefits to my wife and kids.

Are you in any PTSD programs at your VA?  Have you had a VA Psych diagnose you?  If so, and if you are within 1-year of your rating, I'd just file a NOD and provide the VA diagnosis and your treatment records and request a change in the named rating. 

Semper Fi -