VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

direction of claim

Rate this question

steve7071

Question

recently received 70% ptsd "45 years later ! " and 60 % heart  =90% cant believe this all happened so quickly. I was thinking I will go forward with an iu claim to get 100% and if denied I will file the other medical issues to accomplish the same end? I am 65 leaving my job and I am supported by my pcp dr with medical letters because of medications I take "13" heart issues and my depression issues with ptsd also. I have outside dr s who will file imo etc as needed, great support. any advise from elders or fellow service  people. I want this for my wife, my health sucks not crying just need advice

thanks sjf "newbie"

22 minutes ago, steve7071 said:

I am 65 leaving my job and I am supported by my pcp dr with medical letters because of medications I take "13" heart issues and my depression issues with ptsd also.

I am not trying to be insensitive but IU/TDIU is for veterans that can't work due to their service connected disabilities and not veteran leaving work. In other words, you should not be working at all right now.

wrong words "leaving", prior to s/c decision I was on fmla,reduced work hours and gave notice to  leave soon due to health issues per my doctor, and the c&p docs also indicated very limited work and probable failure at regular work environments. this is why I waited 45 years to file, guilt, unable to articulate without anger and fear of rejection by fellow vets.this site is great but putting my laundry out in public was a terrible idea .I was looking for direction not affection. god bless and thanks for listening.

steve 7071 ,2/501st inf 101st us army rvn.

Please don't take offense from my post. I did state that I was not trying to be insensitive about your situation. Just trying to pass information on.  If a veteran is working and files a claim for IU/TDIU even with a doctors' note/letter stating they should quit, VA will still deny the claim until the veteran is actually not working due to his/her service connected disabilities. Since VA rated you at 90% they (VA) should have already considered you for IU/TDIU and included a VA form 21-8940 in your rating decision packet.  Did VA state anything in your Reason and Bases or Explanation for decision about you being unemployable?

Edited by pete992

Steve, I agree with Pete on this one as my situation was similar in some respects.  I tried hanging in there until the last with my profession and well I should have stopped when the MDs first stated I should. That was back in 2013, I didn't retire until 2015.  I understand.

Pete is correct with the IU/TDIU statement.  Until you are not working, you will not receive what you are seeking.  My effective date for IU was the day I retired, when it was all said and done, the VA used that date as start of unemployability and rated accordingly. 

The VA should have included the 21-8940.  When I hit 70% that form was included in my decision packet, however, you may not have been given the form with your paperwork. In my claim when I hit 80% & 90%, the form was included.

All situations are unique though.  

Good luck and best wishes.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with ArNG11 and pete992

I had to stop working because of my SC Disability's and it took me a long time to get TDIU..I had to stop working in 1998 and was awarded TDIU P&T IN 2002  My wife worked and made ends meet for us  made me feel like a worthless man, I mowed a few yards to make a little grocery $ when I felt I could  it was hard but I push myself, those  4 years has to be the worst part of my life (except Vietnam) it was very dim during that time.

just keep hanging in there ...it does get better on down the line.

Figuring that you are at 88% rating, giving you a 90% award, with a heart condition, you are not that far from a 100% rating.

Are there any secondary conditions, or additional claims that you have not filed for SC that would push you over the 95% (rounds up) rating on this?  Check your medical record, and speak to your current MD's to see if any secondary issues attributable to your heart condition exist.

Secondary conditions are caused by or aggravated by a SC disability.