VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

direction of claim

Rate this question

steve7071

Question

recently received 70% ptsd "45 years later ! " and 60 % heart  =90% cant believe this all happened so quickly. I was thinking I will go forward with an iu claim to get 100% and if denied I will file the other medical issues to accomplish the same end? I am 65 leaving my job and I am supported by my pcp dr with medical letters because of medications I take "13" heart issues and my depression issues with ptsd also. I have outside dr s who will file imo etc as needed, great support. any advise from elders or fellow service  people. I want this for my wife, my health sucks not crying just need advice

thanks sjf "newbie"

4 hours ago, pwrslm said:

Figuring that you are at 88% rating, giving you a 90% award, with a heart condition, you are not that far from a 100% rating.

Are there any secondary conditions, or additional claims that you have not filed for SC that would push you over the 95% (rounds up) rating on this?  Check your medical record, and speak to your current MD's to see if any secondary issues attributable to your heart condition exist.

Secondary conditions are caused by or aggravated by a SC disability.

When I was rated 90% I needed another 40% just to get to 95 to round up to my 100% combined  schedular rating.  The higher rating percentage a veteran gets the harder it gets to get to 100% combined.  As you can see it can be done but it is not easy.

Edited by pete992

steve,

Sounds like you were late to the game.  I'm not sure on the IU issue, but one thing I can tell you is, get anything and everything Service Connected that is in your service medical record, and if you think you were lowballed for any of your current ratings, request an increase.  And think if any of your non-military maladies might be related to any of you SC'd issues and get them rated secondary.  When I say this, I mean even SC'd rated at 0%.

That way, when you expire, and its related to anything SC's, your wife will get DIC, etc...

A little harsh, I know, but hey, you said you were worried about your wife!

FWIW,

Hamslice

I'm rated 0% for acne.  Hope it takes me out at a cool 100.

16 hours ago, pete992 said:

When I was rated 90% I needed another 40% just to get to 95 to round up to my 100% combined  schedular rating.  The higher rating percentage a veteran gets the harder it gets to get to 100% combined.  As you can see it can be done but it is not easy.

So true, but the issue needs to be addressed directly.  Some Vets have far more issues that carry them well above and beyond 100% as well.  Getting it all out on the table is a good start.