VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD and Borderline Personality Disorder

Rate this question

Navy8081

Question

I am a Permanent and Total TDIU disabled veteran.  I was diagnosed by a Doctor in 2009 for PTSD. I am service connected 70 percent for PTSD and several other things neck and back. I get this new social worker for a counselor after I lost my spouse, my brother and both my parents..I told her I felt abandoned ..She then diagnosis me with Borderline Personality Disorder.  I don't agree with this could you please help me with this subject.  Your thoughts on this matter. 

Edited by Navy8081

3 answers to this question

Was this a C & P doctor?

If so, what type of claim did you file to get the C & P.

I think this was however for counseling instead , and not for a claim...?)and I do not see how a LSW 's diagnosis could possibly overturn the  MH diagnosis you have now.

Was the 2009 diagnosis done by a VA shrink? or a private shrink?

But that should not matter and that claim was decided under the pre-2010 PTSD regulations.

If this was not for a claim, I would ask for a better counselor if I were you....

Personality disorder my butt... you have 70% PTSD and an overall  P & T rating so VA had chances already to pull the PD BS on you when you first filed this PTSD claim, and they cant now without putting some bogus medical rationale on paper.

I suggest you google this SW to see what their qualifications really are.

If they propose to reduce you, hopefully we can help with that but meantime, if this is someone you are just getting counseling from, you need someone who really understands PTSD.

This crap can hurt a PTSD vet more than the misery of the PTSD does

This SW does not understand PTSD at all in my opinion.

Boy if that had happened to my husband I think I would have given the SW

PTSD.

Edited by Berta

I was diagnosed with PTSD by full fledge mental health doctor who worked for the VA and he also ended up being my C&P  Examiner after he had treated me for 10 years of mental health therapy . I was diagnosed in 2009 and increased to 70 percent PTSD in 2013 and was given Permanent and Total as well at the time.

I then counseled with a social worker for years after that and never diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. 

Now I have a new social worker who says that my symptoms are BPD and not so much PTSD because I felt abandoned because my parents husband and brother passed away.

I am really upset over this.

On 5/11/2016 at 2:31 PM, Navy8081 said:

I was diagnosed with PTSD by full fledge mental health doctor who worked for the VA and he also ended up being my C&P  Examiner after he had treated me for 10 years of mental health therapy . I was diagnosed in 2009 and increased to 70 percent PTSD in 2013 and was given Permanent and Total as well at the time.

I then counseled with a social worker for years after that and never diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. 

Now I have a new social worker who says that my symptoms are BPD and not so much PTSD because I felt abandoned because my parents husband and brother passed away.

I am really upset over this.

DIAGNOSIS
Per DSM-5, the diagnostic manual published by the American Psychiatric Association, Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) is:

“a pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, and affects, and marked impulsivity, beginning in early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts..."

The key part for your situation is "beginning in early adulthood". By definition, symptoms that began after the multiple tragic losses you suffered cannot be BPD because you were well into adulthood by that time.

Also, note this paragraph from the NAMI website:

Diagnosis: There is no single medical test to diagnose BPD, and a diagnosis is not based on one sign or symptom. BPD is diagnosed by a mental health professional following a comprehensive psychiatric interview that may include talking with previous clinicians, medical evaluations and, when appropriate, interviews with friends and family. | Source: https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Borderline-Personality-Disorder

Did your psychotherapist (the social worker) talk with your previous doctors and therapists, or at least read their notes? Did you complete any medical or psychological testing/evaluations? Did she interview a friend or family member or two? 

BE ASSERTIVE - TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF
Have you talked with your therapist about your concerns? That's usually the best first step. If she listens carefully and responds empathically, and rethinks the diagnosis, then it could turn out to be a good learning experience for her, and therapeutic for you. Or, maybe you have some BPD characteristics (I tend to doubt it, but it's best to consider the possibilities). If that is the case and she explains why she thinks you have some BPD characteristics, and how she can help you (and you can help yourself), then that too would probably be therapeutic.

Keep in mind that BPD, or some BPD traits without having the full-blown disorder, does not make the individual a 'bad' person, or 'crazy', or anything along those lines. BPD usually results from significant emotional, sexual, and/or physical abuse during childhood or adolescence, and represents the child's best attempts to try to cope with an overwhelmingly painful, difficult, no-win environment. People can develop borderline-like symptoms in adulthood, although that is much less common (and they would not be diagnosed with BPD because of the diagnostic criteria I mentioned earlier). 

If your therapist does not seem to understand why this new diagnosis bothers you, and she does not respond with warmth and empathy, I would suggest asking for a second opinion from a psychologist or psychiatrist with a lot of experience helping people with PTSD due to sexual trauma. And ask for a new psychotherapist--you have that right. 

All the Best,

Mark

Edited by Mark D Worthen PsyD
put quote in box; corrected typo; added subheadings