Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. Many folks use Ad Blockers and I understand why, I would ask that if you want to support HadIt.com and help keep it online add HadIt.com website as an exception ×

VA says they overpaid...two years later

Stitches

Question

I'm not sure where to post this, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. My husband was getting Post 9/11 GI benefits for school from late 2013 up until the end of 2014 (when he graduated). About a month ago, we got a letter saying they overpaid and that he owes money. It's 2016...why are they just now saying he owes money back? 
He's been trying to get a hold of the VA but can't. He's emailed and no response. He's called and always gets the "we're experiencing high call volume" message. What should he do? 

Edited by Stitches

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
14 hours ago, Stitches said:

I'm not sure where to post this, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. My husband was getting Post 9/11 GI benefits for school from late 2013 up until the end of 2014 (when he graduated). About a month ago, we got a letter saying they overpaid and that he owes money. It's 2016...why are they just now saying he owes money back? 
He's been trying to get a hold of the VA but can't. He's emailed and no response. He's called and always gets the "we're experiencing high call volume" message. What should he do? 

The VA has not been known to to things in a timely manner. That said, I'd likely file a notice of disagreement, and request a hearing.

Without any information as to why the VA feels it overpaid, It's difficult to say much more. It's also possible to request a waiver, with some chance of success.  Since my experience with the GI Bill is with the Vietnam Era version. I would suggest that those more familiar with the current GI Bill might have more focused advice.

• Like 1

You need to pay it and then argue later. I tried to argue with them over the overpayment amount before paying... It didn't pan out well. They wasted literally no time (I mean they did it before the date on the letter said I had to pay it by) sending me to collections which seriously dinged my credit score.

And oddly enough my school gave me a refund back for that exact amount months and months later... so it appears the school didn't pay the VA back, but I had gotten dinged for it... and then the school tried to pay, but there was no longer a balance with the VA (or something to that effect)

Go to the Debt management Center website:

http://www.va.gov/debtman/

The procedure here is to apply for a waiver (debt).  You need to do so promptly, or the debt will be presumed valid.  

Here is how to request a debt waiver:

http://www.va.gov/debtman/Submit_A_Waiver_Request.asp

I had a debt waived about 8 years ago, by sending a request to the address on the website.  Be specific, and concise.  

I humbly suggest you not repay the money, at least not yet.  Wait until after you get a decision on debt waiver.  

Edited by broncovet

6 hours ago, broncovet said:

I had a debt waived about 8 years ago, by sending a request to the address on the website.  Be specific, and concise.  

I humbly suggest you not repay the money, at least not yet.  Wait until after you get a decision on debt waiver.  

I said what I did because I know for me they were SO quick to send me to debt collections while I was trying to sort it out with them... and they said I had owed it for multiple years though they'd never said it to me... That, in turn, wrecked my credit. Which has definite repercussions on a lot of things...

Maybe that would not be the case for everyone though where they would send it that quickly.

Also, getting it off my credit report is something I am still trying to do (this happened about two years ago or so) as they sent it to collections prior to the date they said I had to pay it by.

ALSO, I will wholly admit I did not realize there was a form you could fill out. I just kept calling.

Edited by MuggleLover