VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adding & Filing claims? is it wrong when?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Is it wrong if a veteran file for claims   even if you have a 100% plus SMC S1 H.B. rating?

Is that taking away from other veterans?

In this case a secondary claim for Sleep Apnea caused/Agervated by Service Connected  DSM-5 PTSD

I was told I don't need to file a claim because I am already 100%  I'm crouding the claims system for Other veterans trying to get a 1st time claim  or an increase on their claim.

so it takes away from other veterans in need for there claim to be adjuidcated.

...I would never want or intenionally take another veterans place  and keep his/her claim to take a longer time  by filing a nother claim for myself.

Matter fact I am not trying to get any more Comp  but would like to have my VA Diagnosed of sleep apnea service connected for DIC Purposes  in case I die from any of my S.C. Disabilitys and have my death letter ready for my spouse.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks

.......................Buck

5 answers to this question

46 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Is it wrong if a veteran file for claims   even if you have a 100% plus SMC S1 H.B. rating?

Is that taking away from other veterans?

In this case a secondary claim for Sleep Apnea caused/Agervated by Service Connected  DSM-5 PTSD

I was told I don't need to file a claim because I am already 100%  I'm crouding the claims system for Other veterans trying to get a 1st time claim  or an increase on their claim.

so it takes away from other veterans in need for there claim to be adjuidcated.

...I would never want or intenionally take another veterans place  and keep his/her claim to take a longer time  by filing a nother claim for myself.

Matter fact I am not trying to get any more Comp  but would like to have my VA Diagnosed of sleep apnea service connected for DIC Purposes  in case I die from any of my S.C. Disabilitys and have my death letter ready for my spouse.

Any suggestions or comments?

Sounds like you talked to someone that really don't know how VA likes to play games with veterans and their dependents. Sleep Apnea is a life threatening disorder and if you die from it and it is not service connected VA can refuse to grant your dependents DIC. A claim is a claim is a claim, even though you are rated 100% you can and should file for any life threatening disorders to protect your family benefits.

Hey Buck,

No such thing.  You need to file for everything (for DIC purposes) because you must protect your spouse.  Don't you think for one moment that it is "wrong".  If it was wrong, truly wrong, there would be no avenue for you to file on.  The path to file is clear, and legal, therefore not wrong.

Jmvho

TexasMarine

Buck,

Your claim is but a drop of water in an ocean.  The VA could give you the correct number of pending claims if I was a life or death situation (pun intended). File away!!!

Your not taking anyones spot in line from them as its your spot, the VA just needs to make more spots.

We're not talking free cheese here.  For those that remember...

Just think if every Veteran that could fill a legit claim that either won't or does not know he/she can, were to file.  The system would explode!  I know at least a dozen Veterans that have not or will not apply, and a couple that could get a big increase from thier maladies getting worse.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink, or somethiing like that.

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

It's unbelievable that VA persons and others often tell veterans that you are at 100%, so there is no point in going any further!

I even had a young female "member of the secretary's staff" try this one during a phone call! There was dead silence from her when I mentioned SMC, and the fact that a 100% SC'd single condition/disability starts things all over for percentages.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Everyone, makes me feel at ease.

I Think its every veteran choice if he/she files a claim.

I read some of (veteran attorney) Chris Attig  blog and he says there serveral reasons why a veteran should file past the 100% & a couple are to get his/her ratings up incase a proposal to reduce   and of course DIC.

i Won my PTSD Claim in about 4 months   b/c I had everything and all the evidence they needed  luckly for me  they did not lose it or shread it and they read it all.

Now I was diagnosed for sleep apnea after my PTSD Claim, the VA MH Phyistrist sent in for me to have  sleep study...I was sent to the sleep study and VA diagnose me with S.A. and presribe me a CPAP.

And I believe I have S.A. because of my PTSD.

I need to get a qualfied  Dr to read my records & give his Opine on the PTSD agervation or likely as not cause  or likey as not the reason I have sleep apnea.

Thanks Everyone!

......Buck