VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Assigned to a rater now what?

Rate this question

PvtSHines

Question

My claim's estimated date of completion changed by a few days so I called Peggy to see what's what. I was told my claim was assigned to a rater yesterday and my claim is expected to close by 6/21/16. I have been in prep for decision phase since 4/28, and all that time I thought a rater had already recommended a decision and was just doing the paper work for approval. So I guess since that isn't how it works, how long does it take to completion once it's been assigned to a rater?

Edited by PvtSHines
Misspelling

1 answer to this question

If everything was processed correctly, the rating should be completed within 30 days and quite often even faster. So, here are some of the reasons why it may take longer. Now that the rater has it, they will review the claim to be certain all of the contentions (claimed disabilities) have been addressed. If not, they may have to request the examining physician provide additional details, or perhaps even order another exam. This does not happen often, but it does happen.

Once the rater is done, your claim will go back to a Veterans Service Representative (VSR) for final action and then approved by an authorizer. This process should take between 1 to 5 days. Again, there are possible delays as the VSR will perform a final check to ensure all appropriate records have been received, service verified, and claimed disabilities addressed. 

Please keep in mind this is a general overview. The process is complex and various factors can throw this time line off.