VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Fraud Against Veterans?

Rate this question

Guest ScareCrow

Question

Guest ScareCrow

Unfortunately have been seeing a disturbing trend lately from the lying, cheating VA, here is how it works.....

Lets say the VA finally awards a disabled veteran an award that they had been fighting for and erroneously awards 10% back several years(VA regs state that the veteran deserves a higher award so they will have to NOD).

The payment hits the veterans bank account first and is relatively a small amount compared to what it should be, but the veteran already knows that it should be several thousand dollars from simple math, 10% x ?months equals X.

The veteran gets the VA packet which as usual does a terrible job of explaining what the VA actually did and is ambiguous at best.....You were only awarded 10% because blah blah blah blah blah thank you for your service we care about veterans(then the tirade), yeah save it, the VA cares sooo much about veterans that they award themselves hundreds of millions of dollars of veterans money?!

The bs VA explanation document starts by listing a few hundred dollars with a month and year next to it and then a note stating 'cost of living adjustment' next to that and keeps doing this down the page with varying amounts of money, not showing the actual award per month though, only COLA.

However doing simple math the 10% rating dating back to the actual service connected initial year up until now and the amount of the VA award does not add up correctly and equal what it should, as a matter of fact its not even close.

Example

$390.00 12/2006 cost of living adjustment

$450.00 05/2007 cost of living adjustment

$719.00 10/2007 cost of living adjustment

etc.....

For example, lets say its $101.00 per month at 10% at 10 years back, so thats 120 months which is 120 x $101.00 = $12120.00; but for whatever bs reason the VA only awards $1212.00(no garnishments or anything like that either), has anyone ever ran into anything like this, as it looks like some sort of fraud and cant possibly be correct?

Can you say 'lynch-mob' with pitchforks and torches. ;)

Thank you

Edited by ScareCrow

an additional 10% stops counting after 50%, as mentioned.

Guest's guestimate method, if old rate was 50% or below, works.

Any debt also comes out of a retro.

You can ask for an audit if it still doesn't make sense. USUALLY, programs calculate payments, and you can audit them out to be within a penny. Veterans, themselves, can conduct an audit, it's really not that difficult.

Likewise, notifications are USUALLY prepared by a program. If so, the line items Guest copied above are a reflection of the programs calculations- To be master of the obvious.

Once and a while a VSR does have to hand type an award letter- Or, use an old program to award. Old claims- 'Pre Conversion' to VETSNET need some manual configuring- Usually 2008. These can get very, very complex, and remember:

On 7/1/2017 at 8:57 PM, broncovet said:

employee working your claim ... complete it in 27 minutes,

In short, there's not a massive fraud, either bad input to programs, a debt, or misunderstanding.

Every veteran that is given a C&P exam should be allowed to video record the entire thing.

Video evidence could be of great use in proving that examinations are inadequate.

I would have LOVED to have had my last examiner on video.

Edited by 63Charlie

Sorry to hear of the Typical VA Woes.  Over the last 10 yrs the VA has supposedly done so much to improve the Claims process. In some ways I believe that, like the FDC process, which speeds up everything. The problem is the VA Thought Process and ending is ok, the Middle is where the VA drops the ball in every way possible. Improper C&P Exams performed by Nurses, PAs, or Docs that arent qualified to do the exam. Then if we are lucky enough, after 5 ft of evidence to be granted SC, it is either at the Low Balled %, or the VA gets the Effective date and pay wrong. I try to keep us with the News when they talk about new VA Bosses, or some new and great change coming. So far, just so disappointed with the VA as you all are. I am just glad you got SC bud that is the biggest uphill battle. Good luck and God Bless

On 5/16/2016 at 5:04 PM, Meddac said:

The way that a 10% condition plays into an overall rating evaluation varies with what the overall evaluation is at that time. The disability calculator doesn't use simple addition math, and 10% won't impact the monetary part of an overall the same way every year. There are times when 10% conditions are literally invisible in the overall evaluation numbers. Heck, there are many people who are rated over 100% by simple math, but their VA rating is 90% overall.

Meddac is right on this. I have 230% using simple math but im at 90% according to VA math. My initial rating was 80% and then they reduced me to 60% so I filled an NOD and they bumped me up to 90% after it was all said and done.