VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Missing Records.

Rate this question

emmak

Question

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Look on the separation physical sumary page for the corpsman should have summarized all in service treatments. That page was what did it for me but it took 15 years to find it.

How long have you been out of the Navy? Sometimes records end up getting stuck at your last duty station that should have been sent on with your record to archives. I made a copy of all my med rec before I got out. I also have copy of everything since then in one big folder. You have to stay 1 step ahead of the VA They have a habit of losing things. Dale Jr 8

Where did you send this request?

Did it go directly to NARA? with a SF 180 form?

http://www.archives.gov/

The VA will send you a copy of VA medical records.

Sometimes they will send some SMRs-if specifically requested-

however- I was helping a vet for my POA. The VA ,upon his request,had sent him 3-4 pages of his SMRs and said the rest were burnt in the St Louis Fire. I asked the vet rep- when he showed them to me-where is the water damage, where is the charred damage-these records are in perfect condition.I bet the rest are too.

The vet sent a SF 180 to NARA and got them all- they were never destroyed in the fire.

If you get SSA or SSI -the SMRs might possibly still be at their office where you filed the SSA claim.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Even without the paper records it can be overcome if a Doctor is willing to offer an opinion about the injury linking it to your Service that would include an exam and your narrative of when it happened and how it has been a problem.

I found my sons missing records by using the form 180 and asking for the records using the dates we knew he was in the hospital stating the base he was at.

Ask for all hospital Inpatient Clinical records.

Jessie

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete53 is right on the IMO. A good doctor's opinion can just turn your claim around 180 degrees. It the doctor has anything to work with you can win your claim if it is a PTSD claim or presumptive claim. It is harder when there is nothing in the SMR's and no trail of treatment.