VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

When To File For Iu And Other Service Connected Problems.

Rate this question

emmak

Question

I have done research for my pstd and I want to file for IU and the other claims which I have not filed for. I went to the va office and was advised to NOT file for the above right now because I have a NOD pending on the comp rating and other problems have not been addressed. Do I sit back and wait or do I insist the paper work be filed? I really want to get the ratings to protect my wife in case I pass on. :huh:

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Personally, I'd file now. Every month you wait could be a lost months pay, if awarded. jmo

pr

I have done research for my pstd and I want to file for IU and the other claims which I have not filed for. I went to the va office and was advised to NOT file for the above right now because I have a NOD pending on the comp rating and other problems have not been addressed. Do I sit back and wait or do I insist the paper work be filed? I really want to get the ratings to protect my wife in case I pass on. :huh:

As Philip said no better time than now. I live in N.C. and it takes about 8 months to get a claim done. If you appeal it takes alot longer. Also if you end up having to to the BVA on your appeal it is hard to file anything new as your c-file will go to Washington. Now is a good time. You could end up having to go to the BVa on the new stuffyou want to file. Hope this helps. Dale Jr 8

I agree- I see you have 50%-

if you are unemployed and feel that your SC disability renders you unemployable- you should file the TDIU form to preserve the earliest potential date of entitlement to TDIU.

I will attach the TDIU form.

Under # 18 they mean SSA benefits as well as any other disability retirement benefits.

If you have not applied check this as to that you will apply for SSA.

If you do get SSA now-is it for your SC disabilities? If so this is excellent evidence that SC disability has made you unemployable.Tell them that in Remarks.

Under Remarks refer them to additional page if needed and tell them of any side affects from your SC meds that hinder your ability to work.

If you have a annual SSA wage statement showing lack of employment send them copy of that too.

If you have ever been considered by VA for Voc Rehab but they turned you down due to your disabilities tell them that too.

Make copies of it all and send it certified or priority mail with internet tracking slip.

Send the SO a copy. If any problem with him on this -let me know.

I don't know when you filed the NOD- my VARO (Buffalo)doesn't get to NODs until after at least a year has passed.A TDIU form filed now might change that.

Edited by Berta

oooops forgot to attach the form-

I should make the TDIU my avator- I cannot believe how many times I have sent these forms out over the years -

TDIU_form.pdf

I have a case on going thats allot like yours. Iam attacping an e-mail from the Huntington ro concerning my case . I hope this will help. I say file a year ago and tell your so where to go. I nearly had to threaten my rep to get him to file mine, as i also am only 50%.

This is in reference to your recent e-mail concerning your various claims.

In your case, we received a claim for Individual Unemployability (IU) on September 27, 2006, and are currently working on that issue before we can continue to process your appeals. Because of this claim, we cannot determine an approximate date when your appeals will be completed.

Once we complete the initial review of your folder for your current claim for IU, we will send you a letter explaining any additional evidence we require to process that claim. We will then continue to process your appeals at that time.

• HadIt.com Elder

File the TDIU form because that will beoome your effective date when you get the award. I filed when I was 30% and they went back to that date to give me the IU.