VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Benefits for veterans in the case of physical damage

Hi Everyone!

I know a large number of low rank military soldiers who are living a miserable life after the retirement of their military job. Last year, my uncle lost his leg in a military training camp at California. Recently, he has retired as well. I just want to know that what kinds of benefits he can gain from state and federal administration?

Constructive answers would be appreciated!

Thank You.  

Has he filed a formal VA Benefits claim yet?

If he files within one year of discharge, the Earliest Effective date for any retro payments will be the day after his discharge.

He will need to obtain (unless he already has them) his complete SMRs and Personnel records.

They can be requested from the NARA web site. www.archives.gov

He needs to request them himself on line.

Was he given any percentage for his disability when he left the military.

Was this a training accident?

By "retired" , do you mean he gets SSDI benefits? How long was he in the Military?

Unless the Veterans Records part has changed since I last used it,

he will need to print off the SF 180 he files, as well as the bar coded thing they refer him to at the site.

As I recall I had to copy the bar coded thing, sign it, and mail it back to where they directed me to on the form.

They then associate the signature with the SF 180.

It took me about 6 weeks to get my husband's Navy SMRs, and they sent a letter telling me his USMC SMRs were with the VARO where my claim was, so I knew , since I had a claim pending, that is where they should be.

I assume he had a Medical Discharge and his SMRs will have all the medical info on the accident.

Also VA will request all of his medical records post service.

I forgot to add.....this sounds like it was a very traumatic accident.    thus a Major Stressor.

If he has had any MH issues at all, to include any psychological care for any mental residuals of this accident, he should claim PTSD too as well as the loss of leg and any physical residuals from that.

VA will want any medical records he might have to that affect as well.

Is he able to join us here?

Does the VA treat him at all or has this been private care?