VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health C&P

Rate this question

jlduty

Question

I had all of my initial C&P exams about 3 weeks ago.  I was not initially scheduled to see a mental health professional.  At the general exam I was asked if I had ever been seen by a mental health professional during my AD service and whether I had ever been depressed.  I answered yes to both.  The examiner recommended to the VA that I have a mental health exam as well.    I received the appointment letter two days ago.

I have never been diagnosed with depression but I did have an evaluation/interview when I was trying to get my chronic pain diagnosed.  I never heard back from the doctor after the evaluation.  However, I have had suicidal thoughts at three different times in my life.  I also went to a therapist through Military One Source when I was going through my divorce.    Well, onto my question I guess, now that I have given a little background information.  I am just wondering what I should expect at my exam next week?  I am not sure what I should even say.  I am not currently struggling at all, however, I can get dark sometimes.  I would like to have a service connection in case I slide back into a bad place in the future.  I am only hoping for a 0%.  Should I add mental condition or depression to my claim or should I wait until my current claim is settled so as not to send it back to the beginning again? Or will this exam be sufficient?  Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.     

When possible, posting redacted copies of your Award/Denial letter and discussion of evidence reviewed, would still be of great assistance.

Semper Fi

On 5/26/2016 at 2:16 PM, jlduty said:

Andyman,

I'm sorry you have had such a rough time with your VA claims.  I saw your other post too and you have just been running up against issue after issue.  Hopefully, I will get lucky and my ratings will reflect my exams.  All of my exams went really well from what I could determine but after reading so many horror stories here I am trying to refrain from setting my expectations too high.  I feel like I am being lulled into a sense of comfort and safety and am going to be attacked any minute  LOL.  It just seems like it's all a crapshoot.

jlduty,

I know I'm only one of a million Vets getting the shaft, but knowing that sure doesn't make me feel any less penned in and segregated from the herd.  Learned this weekend that I now have one less person to talk to, he thinks I talk too much, rambling on, and so forth.  At what age does a son stop seeking his Father's approval? Or is that something that you either have or don't have?

I can recall only 2 C&P exams that I felt good about, and they were the 2 that got me bumped up in the past year or so.