VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gulf War undiagnose illnesses and Chronic multisymptoms

Rate this question

RickyDee

Question

Ok maybe I am missing something hear concerning the GW Illnesses.

I submitted a claim for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia in 2009 and got denied. VA said it didn't manifest 6 mths after I returned from the gulf or within one year after I retired. Now the information is: VA presumes certain chronic, unexplained symptoms existing for 6 months or more are related to Gulf War service without regard to cause. These "presumptive" illnesses must have appeared during active duty in the Southwest Asia theater of military operations or by December 31, 2016, and be at least 10 percent disabling. These illnesses include: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, a condition of long-term and severe fatigue that is not relieved by rest and is not directly caused by other conditions( I have OSA (not SC) and PTSD-40% (SC non-combat). Fibromyalgia (not SC), a condition characterized by widespread muscle pain. Other symptoms may include insomnia. I got a C&P for OSA and diagnoses was denied but stated more than likely has insomnia than SA. Well hell, I got a CPAP but my Nuro Dr. is treating me for insomnia or better yet narcolepsy (chronic, uncontrollable daytime sleepiness). Said the reason I can't stay awake is because I have insomnia. I am always fatigued, headaches, and my memory issues are getting worse. I have a visit with my VA sleep doctor and MH in Jun. I requested my CPAP be changed to something quite because the one I have now is louder than a construction site and keeps my wife up. Any suggestions on how I should address my issues with my MH and sleep doctor. Oh yea I forgot to mention sleep doctor prescribed Modafinil which I took for about three months and stop taking because of deep depression and server headaches. 

Gulf War Veterans is subjected to a cluster of medically unexplained chronic symptoms that can include fatigue, headaches, joint pain, indigestion, insomnia, dizziness, respiratory disorders, and memory problems

VA refers to these illnesses as "chronic multisymptom illness" and "undiagnosed illnesses -

Any comments are welcome as to how I should handle this to support my cliam of GW undiagnosed illness and chronic multisyptoms

Follow the evidence in your medical records both SMRs and private records. Be prepared to file a NOD and appeal any VA decision. Typical VA word/mind games. When I say follow the evidence I mean, if any of these symptoms were diagnosed and treated while you were on active military service and you have copies of them, then you can file a claims for directly related to your military service.  If these symptoms were not diagnosed in service but was diagnosed after service file a claim for presumptive but keep in mind of the wording the doctors uses in their diagnosis.  For in service the name of the symptom ex: Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Headaches, IBS or whatever the symptoms were. Post service private medical diagnosis should be something like Undiagnosed Fibromyalgia, Undiagnosed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Undiagnosed Headaches, Undiagnosed IBS. I know that this sounds really stupid and petty but VA likes things their way and you can't change it or your claim will be denied.

• HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder

I would list all the presumptives and ask the VA doc to see if they are Service Connected..which they they are but just to see what he/she says but it will give you a good feel of the VA Dr rather or not he/she is up to help you..

if not then take some of your str's to a private Dr and get him to give you a IMO on most of your symtoms and his opinion on these gulf war Related symtoms...

The CFR's should have some of these listed.

jmo

...............Buck 

I'll try Pat992 and Buck and also read everything and anything K5one. This is going on year 5. Thank you all for your input.

Moving Forward

I am a Gulf War (Desert Storm ) and ( Iraqi Freedom 1) Veteran, and recently am the proud parent of a baby girl who is easily startled and jumpy for no apparent reason.  Is it possible that my service might have contributed to this condition.  I took the PB (Progesteried Bromide) pills for nerve agent, and am concerned about this?