VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How far back does your service records go?

Rate this question

snow1wave

Question

So im filing for planter's facia and flat feet, the only time my feet was looked at, was in boot camp, after bootcamp I bought my own insoles, so I never went to sick call or was seen again for my feet. I don't have my records, so would my service record have stuff that goes back to bootcamp? I separated last year. 

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

snow1wave,

Your SMR will have your physical from MEPS, and all same from boot camp as well.  Well, it should have.  Did you ever get looked at for ankles, knees, or back? All of these can and will be effected by your feet.

You need to request your C-file ASAP. It will contain your service record, service medical record, and any VA treatment records as well.

Semper Fi

snow,

Did you injure your back in service? Or is it secondary to your feet?

When you go to your C&P exams, remember this(VERY IMPORTANT)they base most ratings on ROM(range of motion). When they have you bend and twist and lean and so forth, do not go past the point of initial pain or tightness.  They measure from where you stop, if you go 20 degrees past pain, then that's what they put down. I screwed myself, 18 years ago, by going as far as I could, pain and all, got only 10% for my back. Then last year, during C&P for increase, I stopped at the point of pain, got back bumped up to 40%. 

That is one of the things I've learned since being on Hadit, that the VA examiners put down the degree you stop at. Also they will be checking for physical responses to the pain, such as painful expressions on your face, and such.  If it hurts, tell them! Do not let them force you past the pain, many Vets have been injured further by ignorant examiners, who pushed them past the pain point.

And describe everything based on your worst day ever, how your life is affected by it, and so on.

Semper Fi.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good Advise from Andyman

Snow you can send in a FIOA  SF 180 to NRAC (National records Archives Center) in St Louis Mo

For all your STR's and 201 file  they will have your DD 214 an most all your service records  just request All your records  or copy's of all the records they have on you.

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/

....Good Luck

..............Buck

Edited by Buck52

Yea, andyman is the man! Thanks.. Quick question, I had surgery while in, the nurse left me post op and I almost died. Would that incident report be in my service records?

• HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, snow1wave said:

Yea, andyman is the man! Thanks.. Quick question, I had surgery while in, the nurse left me post op and I almost died. Would that incident report be in my service records?

That is a very good question. You will not know the answer until you have the records. Such events are often minimized in formal records.