VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

NMOSailor

Question

So, I am trying to get a better understanding of how the VA is supposed to determine analogous conditions when your condition is not listed.  From reading 38 CFR 4.20, I believe they are supposed to find a disease that is analogous to my diagnosed disease as a whole, not just the symptoms I suffered.  I have NMO and it can cause Transverse Myelitis or Optical Neuritis.  For me, it caused TM.  The VA assigned me code 8010 for Myelitis, however, my disease is often misdiagnosed as MS so I take that as being more analogous.  MS shares more in common with NMO than TM.  Actually, TM is a symptom of both of them.  I'm trying to find others who may have run into a situation like this.  I have also looked for other cases that include NMO code assignments.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am going through IDES right now and I am about to as for a VARR (VA Reconsideration Request).

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Maybe its  to new to the VA?

Study's are being done  so you may want to explore your option and educate the VA on this one!

About the study

Around the world, doctors are looking for people with NMO to volunteer for the N-MOmentum clinical research study. These doctors are studying an investigational monoclonal antibody medication in the hopes of developing a new, future treatment for this rare and difficult disease.

Currently there are no treatments specifically approved to treat NMO, and this study is one of the first to research potential treatments.

• HadIt.com Elder

What is Transverse Myelitis?

Transverse Myelitis (TM) is a disorder caused by inflammation of the spinal cord. It is characterized by symptoms and signs of neurologic dysfunction in motor and sensory tracts on both sides of the spinal cord.  The involvement of motor and sensory control pathways frequently produce altered sensation, weakness and sometimes urinary or bowel dysfunction.

There are four classic symptoms of transverse myelitis:

weakness in the arms/legs

sensory symptoms such as numbness or tingling

pain and discomfort

bladder dysfunction and/or bowel motility problems

The distribution of those symptoms may be symmetric or asymmetric affecting either legs, arms or both.

The word transverse indicates dysfunction at a particular level across the spinal cord, however this term may be misleading as there is not always complete anatomical damage across the cord, but rather focal inflammation that may produce asymmetric spinal cord dysfunction below the level affected while function above such level is normal. So we frequently prefer to use the term myelitis.

NMO

Definition
Optic neuritis is an inflammation of the optic nerve, the bundle of nerve fibers that transmits visual information from your eye to your brain. Pain and temporary vision loss are common symptoms of optic neuritis.

Optic neuritis is highly associated with multiple sclerosis, a disease that causes inflammation and damage to nerves in your brain and spinal cord. In some people, signs and symptoms of optic neuritis may be the first indication of multiple sclerosis.

Most people who have a single episode of optic neuritis eventually recover their vision. Treatment with steroid medications may speed up vision recovery after optic neuritis.

Edited by Buck52

5 hours ago, Buck52 said:

What is Transverse Myelitis?

Transverse Myelitis (TM) is a disorder caused by inflammation of the spinal cord. It is characterized by symptoms and signs of neurologic dysfunction in motor and sensory tracts on both sides of the spinal cord.  The involvement of motor and sensory control pathways frequently produce altered sensation, weakness and sometimes urinary or bowel dysfunction.

There are four classic symptoms of transverse myelitis:

weakness in the arms/legs

sensory symptoms such as numbness or tingling

pain and discomfort

bladder dysfunction and/or bowel motility problems

The distribution of those symptoms may be symmetric or asymmetric affecting either legs, arms or both.

The word transverse indicates dysfunction at a particular level across the spinal cord, however this term may be misleading as there is not always complete anatomical damage across the cord, but rather focal inflammation that may produce asymmetric spinal cord dysfunction below the level affected while function above such level is normal. So we frequently prefer to use the term myelitis.

NMO

Definition
Optic neuritis is an inflammation of the optic nerve, the bundle of nerve fibers that transmits visual information from your eye to your brain. Pain and temporary vision loss are common symptoms of optic neuritis.

Optic neuritis is highly associated with multiple sclerosis, a disease that causes inflammation and damage to nerves in your brain and spinal cord. In some people, signs and symptoms of optic neuritis may be the first indication of multiple sclerosis.

Most people who have a single episode of optic neuritis eventually recover their vision. Treatment with steroid medications may speed up vision recovery after optic neuritis.

NMO includes both TM and ON so it isncall neuromyelitis optica.  It is similiar to MS in many aspects although they are significantly different.  

5 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Maybe its  to new to the VA?

Study's are being done  so you may want to explore your option and educate the VA on this one!

About the study

Around the world, doctors are looking for people with NMO to volunteer for the N-MOmentum clinical research study. These doctors are studying an investigational monoclonal antibody medication in the hopes of developing a new, future treatment for this rare and difficult disease.

Currently there are no treatments specifically approved to treat NMO, and this study is one of the first to research potential treatments.

Yes, it is a VERY rare condition.  Many doctors dont even know about it which is why it is often misdiagnosed as MS.  I have requested a VARR so I can provide the VA with information on my disease.  With a better understanding, I am hoping they will assign a more analogous condition code than TM. This is the difference between me retiring and being separated.