VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nerve Pain

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Big Al

Nerve blocks are injections near your spine to block the pain signals to your brain. They even do these procedures where they cook the nerves to kill them so you don't feel pain. It has never worked for me and I have had ten of them over the years. For some it works wonders.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big al, the next step at the pain clinic would be the heavy stuff like metaform, ocycontin, Hydrocodone,

These will knock the pain but will also make you feel pretty wierd.

Big Al,

John's right. The pain center is the right place to go. They will evaluate you and determine if blocks (shots) may be beneficial to you. I can tell you that all pain centers want to give you blocks as well as pain medication. The blocks have not worked for my burning pain in my shoulders. But I have talked with people that have benefited from them.

If they want to start you on methodone, which I think most clinics do, be careful. I know it works different on everybody, but it made me so out of it I had to hold on to the walls as I walked I was so dizzy and spaced out. But they still made me stay on it for a month before they would switch me to something else. I take Topamax for migraine prevention and they make my head spin some times but they do help. But I don't think Topamax's primary use if for migraines. They prescribe it for other conditions as well.

Once your doctor refers you the pain center should send you a questionnaire to fill out and bring in with you to your appointment which they will call you about. Once you begin to go to the pain clinic they will handle all of your pain problems. I recently found out that your referring doctor has to specify everything that he if referring you to them for or they will say that they are not treating you for that. They will have you sign an agreement, or most do, that you cannot get pain medication from any other source other than that pain clinic. That's why I am mentioning this. Even if something is not bothering you that much right now make sure your doctor mentions it on his referral to the pain center.

Overall going to a pain center is the best way to go. They understand pain and will want to see you on a monthly basis, at least for the first 6-months. I believe that most of the doctors are neurologists.

Hope everything goes well for you.