VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

RETIRED? NOW I AM DISABLED?

Rate this question

RAPIDFIRE

Question

This is a general question. One that has been fumbled around in my mind for some time, as I opinion this myself here. Do you think it is fair that retired military (with the exception of those who went through Physical Boards and Medically Retired, under 20 or 30 yrs.) should be able to also keep full retirement pay, plus VA Compensation? For me, this is what invokes this question, and quit literally nerves me and I think it has become an epidemic. Military service person (as example), goes on to complete full retirement and then all of the sudden near retirement has all sorts of medical problems (buddy system helps out, let's be honest here, wink, wink) and therefore receives both retirement pay/VA compensation (often near 100%) without reduction (not saying there aren't some legitimate cases). SO, IF YOUR SO DISABLED, how were you able to stay on Active Duty? I think the only exception should be for people who were in direct combat with combat injuries and or people in a uniform role were injured right before their retirement. If you were so disabled, like myself, you had to get out. This didn't used to be allowed, CRDP until 2004; the dual payment. And in fact, was used as a tool to torture people who were too injured or disabled to stay in as a jealousy factor would kick in, my own USMC experience (being that their retirement at 20 would only reach max close to 60-90% VA rating) and my opinion was tort (saw a lot of it with tons of young Marines, and dealt with it myself, even while being severely injured in OEF, blown spine, shrapnel in back, priapism for over two-weeks in war and on ship and nobody/command cared, how could this be, how could this exist, it did, and only because of the jealousy factor). Now, it seems like near retirees have been riding this boat, collecting CRDP/retirement. As illustration, I used to work for the Fed. Gov't, people would come in right before their civilian retirement and claim disability, they were working full-time (40 plus overtime) I remind you, and now, all of the sudden they are too disabled to work. Now, why, because SSDI over SS Retirement Pay is often twice as much as it kicks in a higher amount and you receive it decade or more earlier (plus your pension), if awarded, and likely with an atty. So, to me, this is one thing, for you, I am not asking you to defend or argument for yourself and become exploitative, compulsive, or vulgar-AFTER ALL, it is current law. I just want you to give me a clear conscious how and why this dual payout should be in receipt, and remember, if you are SO DISABLED to work, you shouldn't be on active duty, period. It is one thing for a disability to be caused or aggravated by military service, it is another things for this to effect your ability to work with such conditions through retirement, and if you have had such conditions they would be no severe enough to impact your service length, think re-rated for us who have been through hell with the VA's irate C&P's, rating downgrades, re-reviews, etc. It is kind of like the girls who have fun their entire enlistment/commission with loads and loads of guys and then cry wolf and say they were raped and receive compensation. By the way, I am not liberal, I am a patriot and if you get offended, you are not a true countryman.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED 5/28/216

The basis for this discussion is prior to the 2004 effective law; military individuals would purposefully find ways to make sure (under their command) injured or otherwise to receive no VA compensation when they got out because in their eyes, at that time, you would get out and would receive more than them (and I am talking the Senior NCO's and Officers here at retirement), and did everything in their power to make sure treatment wasn't provided, etc. because of the jealousy factor $$$$ get people wrongfully off Medical Boards etc. it was an epidemic. Now, since that has changed (the law) the military care and recordings has improved dramatically since this jealousy factory had been about solvent. Now, anyone who was in prior to 2004 would share to comment about how these veterans were treated prior to such effective law because of the jealousy factor. I think the commentators so far have took this the wrong way. When I got out, I had shrapnel from a round in my back, a busted spine, partial paralysis, PTSD, hearing loss and headaches from explosions/IEDs.......and a bunch of other stuff prior to the 04' law/ OEF. I am trying to relate to others who got banged up, even while in training, and got screwed by your command because they in their eyes only saw you getting compensated, not your injuries (and did not treat you because of this properly).  

So, shouldn't veterans be able to prove that they deserve full retirement from the military plus VA compensation too. Not just the other way around. In my case, shouldn't it be streamlined where I can show, hey I have all the documents conditions right after I got out and had bunch of surgeries, etc. and my command where a bunch of jerks who got off on screwing peoples lives over and look here is the proof.     

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by RAPIDFIRE

Just my two cents. I think its fine for an individual to receive retirement pay (earned) and VA disability (earned).  If it was so easy to obtain disability through the VA sites like this one wouldn't exist and our horror stories about fight the VA would be nonexistent. I come from a military family. My father did 2 tour in Vietnam and retired from the Army. I had to drag him to the VA to file for Agent Orange, because he has cancer, but his rational was along the same lines. I'm retired as long I as I can do A, B, and C I'm fine. My mother was forced to medically retire from the Air Force after 21 years and she fought tooth and nail to obtain a regular retirement, but to no avail. Myself I was Med Boarded after 10 years in, but was hurt for 5 and of course it got worse as I was meeting the standards until my body couldn't take it anymore. I admit some individuals do game the system, but if you come in the military at 18 and do 20 years something is going to be wrong with you when you retire.  I mean our bodies go through more wear and tear than the average individual. All I know is every single claim I have ever filed with the VA has always been denied with a 2 volume military medical record and VA doctors even stating the injury has been caused by military service and I'm talking about the injury I was med boarded for. It's not my place to judge or say who's hurt or who's not, but I do believe in karma and lying about an injury, just might come back to bit the person in the ass. I think its wrong to take a  individuals retirement and offset it, because they are receiving VA compensation. Its as if they are being penalized for being injured and having retired. I work for the Fed. and the SS issue you brought up I have heard of individuals doing this, which is wrong on so many levels.

8 hours ago, RAPIDFIRE said:

This is a general question. One that has been fumbled around in my mind for some time, as I opinion this myself here. Do you think it is fair that retired military (with the exception of those who went through Physical Boards and Medically Retired, under 20 or 30 yrs.) should be able to also keep full retirement pay, plus VA Compensation? For me, this is what invokes this question, and quit literally nerves me and I think it has become an epidemic. Military service person (as example), goes on to complete full retirement and then all of the sudden near retirement has all sorts of medical problems (buddy system helps out, let's be honest here, wink, wink) and therefore receives both retirement pay/VA compensation (often near 100%) without reduction (not saying there aren't some legitimate cases). SO, IF YOUR SO DISABLED, how were you able to stay on Active Duty? I think the only exception should be for people who were in direct combat with combat injuries and or people in a uniform role were injured right before their retirement. If you were so disabled, like myself, you had to get out. This didn't used to be allowed, CRDP until 2004; the dual payment. And in fact, was used as a tool to torture people who were too injured or disabled to stay in as a jealousy factor would kick in, my own USMC experience (being that their retirement at 20 would only reach max close to 60-90% VA rating) and my opinion was tort (saw a lot of it with tons of young Marines, and dealt with it myself, even while being severely injured in OEF, blown spine, shrapnel in back, priapism for over two-weeks in war and on ship and nobody/command cared, how could this be, how could this exist, it did, and only because of the jealousy factor). Now, it seems like near retirees have been riding this boat, collecting CRDP/retirement. As illustration, I used to work for the Fed. Gov't, people would come in right before their civilian retirement and claim disability, they were working full-time (40 plus overtime) I remind you, and now, all of the sudden they are too disabled to work. Now, why, because SSDI over SS Retirement Pay is often twice as much as it kicks in a higher amount and you receive it decade or more earlier (plus your pension), if awarded, and likely with an atty. So, to me, this is one thing, for you, I am not asking you to defend or argument for yourself and become exploitative, compulsive, or vulgar-AFTER ALL, it is current law. I just want you to give me a clear conscious how and why this dual payout should be in receipt, and remember, if you are SO DISABLED to work, you shouldn't be on active duty, period. It is one thing for a disability to be caused or aggravated by military service, it is another things for this to effect your ability to work with such conditions through retirement, and if you have had such conditions they would be no severe enough to impact your service length, think re-rated for us who have been through hell with the VA's irate C&P's, rating downgrades, re-reviews, etc. It is kind of like the girls who have fun their entire enlistment/commission with loads and loads of guys and then cry wolf and say they were raped and receive compensation. By the way, I am not liberal, I am a patriot and if you get offended, you are not a true countryman.  

Get jealous much, young buck?  It must be nice to be able to categorically dismiss.  You won't be getting any advice from me...go spew that ugliness at that "other site".  I guess some of us are more dedicated than others, or...whatever else mean-spirited crap I could think up?  I guess I am not YOUR "true countryman".  Let me know what country you live in, I'll make sure not to visit.

I'm happy to say that on Hadit we don't judge others but rather assume veterans are ethical and have their fair share of integrity.  By approaching veterans with this mindset we focus on helping rather than judging.  There are other sites that focus on judging and believe that the majority of veterans (new posters)  are looking for undeserved handouts, as such they offend a significant number of hurting folks.  I personally think the environment here is much more helpful and productive.

Edited by green

RF, your political attitude as evidenced by, " By the way, I am not liberal, I am a patriot and if you get offended, you are not a true countryman." is an insult to most, if not all hadit members.  You have absolutely no standing to render judgement on anyone's patriotism or entitlement to benefits.

If you don't like the way the laws are written, gather up a bunch of like minded assholes and get enough of them to vote others of their ilk into office and change the laws.

Until then, STFU and take your bullshit to some other website.

Semper Fi!

What the hell are we talking about here. Some Veterans gaming the system. First off, no Veteran is going to "game the VA out of anything". You either have the f____disabilities are you don't.

You've got Veterans that has disabilities, and it is well documented in their military and VAMC records, and they are still fighting to get their claims approved, with claims ranging from 5 to 25 yrs, and some longer than that.

So now we've got an individual, talking about, some "REAL SMART SLICK VETERANS "GAMING THE SYSTEM" if you are dumb enough to believe that, you really are stupid!!!!!!!

Edited by Palma114

I do not know much about other military ratings, but in mine I do not think many escaped without some moderate disabilities after 20 years.

In the the military as a whole very few can escape injury it is inherent in the job description. The system in place allows for those to achieve some compensation for service.

My very first post on this site was made in a very, very angry mindset. I can't remember if I posted the exact reason, but I can tell you it was because another service member was asking me to get a bike and go on a wounded warrior ride (teacher asked me to share my VA experience) we were in the same class going thru VocRehab.

We got to talking and I found out he was rated 60% for knees and feet (or its what he shared). I was getting 20% for a bunch of things and I was extremely ticked. My anger was directed at the VA, and I still have some major anger issues because I was discharged with active injuries that were left untreated and cost me a lot of my health.

I feel I am at the top of the people able to voice a qualified opinion on this subject: Yes I think every retiring service member should be able to be compensated for each injury sustained in service.

My wife asks me to hold my opinion in a lot because I my frustration bubbles up quite often, I see quite a few VA ratings that are not accurate in both good and bad directions. I was asked to volunteer multiple times to become a VSO by the Legion because I had claims already set up for the vets when I sent them to the VSO. This site was the single path that allowed me to help others, and myself.

I have rejected to help a number of vets after listening to their history, not because I didn't think they could get a rating; but because I felt after listening to them I believed them to be tying after service injuries to service time and it is my time so I can refuse. However I always referred them to a VSO because it's not my job to judge anyone no matter how much I might know or believe.