VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

REFRAD number

Rate this question

m5a9c4

Question

I am going through my late husbands c-file and I am trying to make sure I understand everything. 

My question is on his DD214 the transfer of discharge data : Reason and Authority says: Title 10 USC 681 (a) DA Mag 011631z Dec 70 SPN 644 Early Rel fr AD for Warrant Officer aviators.  I looked up 644 and I am really confused on what it means:

Voluntary & Involuntary REFRAD - convenience of

government or as specified by Secretary of the Army

Can anyone explain what this means?

Thank you

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

REFRAD..  Release from Active Duty...   We used to call them "early outs".  If memory serves me correctly, you could request to be released from active duty either 6mos or 3mos prior to your actual discharge date to attend college or in your husbands case, perhaps he wanted to attend to go from enlisted to Warrant Officers?

What rank did your husband get out as?

My husband was a CW2.  I know that he was no fly for about 6 weeks prior to his release due to nervousness.  That is all I can find in his C-file.  So I didn't know if he asked or if they released him.  It may be one of those questions I will never know.  Thanks

I found your other posts here:

What was the medicine change you mentioned? From what med to what med ,and dosage? How soon before he died was this done.

Do you have his PTSD inhouse records?

I got a call from one of the PTSD vets one night, after talking to my husband by phone and he said he was tired and didn't feel like talking too long.

The vet told me he had what appeared to be a seizure of some sort and the doctor had checked him over.

I called the VA doc the next day and she said he was fine and she had checked his BP and it was OK.

When I finally got the records for her notes and the BP readings (I won a 1151 HBP claim last year for additional malpractice, 20 years after my husband died.)

the notes said" BP is OK".   So much for any actual  medical reading....

I advised getting an IMO for any 1151 claim you might have filed.

His med recs need a thorough review to determine if negligence occurred.

In the prior thread above, was any specific EKG done just prior to the inhouse program?

VA did 2 or 3 EKGS on my husband, over a 6 year period and also an ECHO. They were all abnormal but they never followed up and never told him.

Have you googled " rare unifocal PVCs "yet? Or the potential side affects of any VA meds he was on?

( My husband probably had a diabetic type of seizure. Someone in the inhouse program gave him some pop right away when he had this odd 'seizure'. I proved in 2009 that his 1151 FTCA death was also caused by AO DMII and AO IHD. Since the incident was not documented in his med recs, I didn't use it for any of my 1151 claims.

I only had used an IMO for the DMII claim. No diagnosis and no treatment.

The internet by then (none when I Section 1151ed them and FTCA them) helped me study Endocrinology enough to know I had a very valid DMII claim, and I willingly spent the IMO money ,because I knew Dr Bash would agree with the wealth of evidence of DMII I had found in his VA med recs..

It is a decision we have to make for ourselves.....

If an IMO ,done by someone with expertise in the field of Cardiology ,does not support a 1151 claim, you have spent money , but for Peace of Mind. and that too has value.

Edited by Berta