VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting My C-File

Rate this question

63Charlie

Question

Need to file a NOD on a recent Tinnitus claim denial.

Sent in a request, FOIA etc., for my C-file.

VA acknowledged receiving my request on Ebennies and shows a date of 2018 when I can expect them to make a decision as they have my request categorized as a new claim.

I was thinking I read where there are specific deadlines requiring the VA to meet my demand for the C-file.

Anyone know what the time frames are requiring the VA to comply?

Edited by 63Charlie

3 hours ago, John Royal said:

Good evening 63Charlie,

Did you submit a VA Form 3288 to the VA before contacting him directly? If you did go straight to him, did you submit the form to him of just an email.

JR 

I submitted a Freedom Of Information Request first through normal channels.

Waited a month and nothing.

Emailed the Secretary..... mentioned my doctor needed the C-File to prepare his IMO.

and...SHAZAM!!

31 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Yes I agree chuck75

As I understand from Mary Ann at RMC in St Louis   the C-FILE for all veterans including us  Vietnam Vets...they are putting it into CD, and doing away with the paper rout.  As the request come in its first serve basis. 

so it actually could take longer than 200 days but that the Goal as of Now.

Great intel @Buck52 !

Nothing like having a personal contact within the bureaucracy. :smile:

17 minutes ago, 63Charlie said:

I submitted a Freedom Of Information Request first through normal channels.

Waited a month and nothing.

Emailed the Secretary..... mentioned my doctor needed the C-File to prepare his IMO.

and...SHAZAM!!

IMHO Secretary Bob is the real deal - he really gives a f**k. 

He is trying to drastically change the entrenched, fear-based, authoritarian management style that emanates from 810 Varmint Ave. (Can you tell whose blog I read?)

Of course the Entrenched are resisting tooth and nail. I hope whomever is Prez come next January will reappoint him, although that doesn't happen often.

Yeah, Bob's great, but couldn't be bothered to answer my email, or help with the issues mentioned. Nor did he have one of his underlings help either. Thanks, bob.

Vets:

I filed a post last week in which I told everyone of the extensive method that I am using to try to get me C-File? I sent a letter to the Director of the Office of Government Information (OGIS) that was set up to monitor Government FOIA and FOIA Operations. It's  a relatively new,  little known government organization that is tasked with improving the FOIA process across the government. Also, I sent a letter to the VA General Counsel, Leigh Bradley, also a letter to the Director, VA Intake Center (Janesville, WI)  and also the VA FOIA Team in Washington D.C.  asking for help. The OGIS is a relatively new office and I'm hoping to get some help and visibility on this issue which is now  getting much worse for Vets. It used to take 6 months, then a year and now up to 3 to 4 years now to get an answer--for a C-File request which is very unreasonable? Especially considering the fact that a NOD must be submitted within in 1 year, putting  anyone who needs to do one at a significant disadvantage to appeal. For instance, Vets will not be able to review their  C &P Exams that may have determined that a Vet was not given service connection or an increase in a contention for their current NOD Submission. Frankly, I'm betting that the VA Intake Center simply does not have enough people to pull the files? However, I mentioned in my previous post that almost all of the C-Files are supposed to be digitized now -so there should be no reason that a Disk or Thumb Drive can't be generated and sent out to Vets in an expeditious manner? By Law, the VA has 20 business days to produce those files and can grant an extension up to another 10 business days. But, 3-4 years is a long way off from 30 business days on the high end and there's no excuse for this? I've tried to exhaust all of my administrative options and if still  no movement, I'll go to Mr McDonald VA Sec..then if no movement, Court is the next and final option?

But at the end of the Day, I just want a copy of my C-File- so I can do my appeal properly if I can-that all?

Godspeed Rootbeer22 

• HadIt.com Elder

As of last year 2015 The Claims intake center in Janesville Wi  sends the C-FIle Request to the RMC in St Louis  for the digitization and place records information on CD.

They take the request as they come in and work diligently has they can to get the C-File request to the Veteran, Usually a 200 days wait for the process from the request.

Unless your lucky enough to get VA Secretary   Bob McDonald to place a phone call to the RMC   that's the only way I know of to get your C-File under the 200 days (6 months wait)

Most of us have to wait the 200 days to get it.