VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aortic valve /ihd

Rate this question

treysnonna

Question

My husband has had diabetes diagnosised in 2001.   In 2008 he found out he had heart valve problems.  He filed secondary service connected to diabetes.  Boots on ground in Vietnam.  They denied the claim.  Said it was not related to diabetes.  In 2013  he had to have that valve replaced and they found coronary artery disease.  We filed that claim.  Approved it 60%.   But what should the date of benefit start.  And we did not get the 100% for thr three months.  

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

We need way more Medical Info. What is his current SC Rating, still 40%? I think maybe 80%?

What is the exact date of his CAD DX? Retro Pay/Award Date, goes from the Date of Claim Filing or actual DX, whichever is LATER. Earlier symptoms and casual medical reference doesn't equal an actual DX. Every Lay person, MD/DO knows CAD is a disease that develops over a very long period of time, before it actually presents symptoms, MI, Angina, Shortness of breath on exertion.  

When exactly did you file the CAD Claim? Did you NOD the Award, requesting the 3 mos @ 100%, when?

Semper Fi

Yes, ,more info needed.

Was it Diabetes Mellitus Type II?

Did he claim DMII and when was that claim awarded?

He was awarded dm2 in 2001.  The ihd was filed in Jan of 14 and was awarded for in June of that yr.. No he did not put in nod, because his surgery was to replace the valve.  But that is when they found the ihd.    I don't know if he would qualify for that.  But there was never a diagnosis of ihd before.  I don't know how it was missed.  Do you think I should ask for medical records from the Drs? And then ask for a reconsideration  of effective date of benefit.

"Do you think I should ask for medical records from the Drs "

he can request copies of all of his medical records from the VA but I don't get this part:

"In 2013  he had to have that valve replaced and they found coronary artery disease.  We filed that claim.  Approved it 60%"

Was it approved for CAD and the aortic valve situation?

IHD and CAD are almost always considered one and the same by the VA for rating purposes.

Edited by Berta

It was approved for ihd.  But we were claiming the aortic valve as sec to diabetes.  It was before the presumptive came out.  I'm thinking they found the cad/ihd at the opening of the aortic valve and that was why it would not close all the way.  

I looked back and found the ihd was diagnosised on July of 13.  I believe the dr that did surgery found test about two months before surgery.  I'm going to ck with his cardo guy and ask him if he found it earlier.  He always said he did not have it.