VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Back Pay?

Rate this question

A Dickerson

Question

Hello, I received a non-official letter from the DAV on April 20th...for my PTSD claim awarding me 30%. My claim was dated back to 2011. The letter also stated I will receive the official letter from the VA. Also I received a call from the VA in Columbia, SC, the rep explained to me that they were trying to deposit my funds but needed to verify the correct bank account number and routing number since my file wasn't updated...she said the money would be deposited in 5 to 7 business days ..I gave her my info and that was the end of that, 5 to 7 business days has come and gone .I haven't received any funds nor the original VA letter.....what can be the hold up on the letter and the funds?  E benefits does not show my rating at all....worried please advise 

Edited by A Dickerson

3 answers to this question

It can take some time for them to get the retro payment together and depending on the amount the claim will need more signatures. I received my non-official letter from the DAV and 2 months later my claim was finalized and I received my retro. Congrats on the win. I received my retro before I received my official letter.  Keep checking EBennies every so often, because your rating will be updated in the system before you receive your official letter in the mail.

A Dickerson,

I have never heard of VA calling to ask for your bank account number because that information is considered personal. I have heard of VA sending you a letter telling you they need you to confirm your account information and bank information, routing number, etc. These days you can't trust the person on the other end of a phone. Did they give you there service code number. It just sound like something VA wouldn't do with all this identity theft stuff going on. If you haven't already I would call the 800-827-1000 number and confirm someone did call you from VA. Call me paranoid  

Ricky you are not paranoid...just wise.  No, the VA does not call you and ask for your bank account number on the phone.  This smells like an identity theft scam.  How do you know the people who called are really with VA and not some scam artitist in Nigeria???  

You need to go to your bank, and tell them its possible your bank account number was compromised.  I recommend closing that bank account, and opening up a new one with a new number, and then enter that information through the secure VA website.  

At an absolute minimum, call the VA in SC and ask them about it, to verify.  You see, when you call them, you know who you are talking to.  When they call you, you dont, except for caller ID which can be spoofed.  

Edited by broncovet