VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IME and Physician conflict of interest

Rate this question

OldJoe

Question

Instead of continuing a thread that dealt with CUE and beating a dead horse I thought it wise to start a new thread.

In the pursuit trying to fixed my messed up claim I finally have found a physician that does IMEs

Here is how he responded to my email explaining my situation:

<...>

"I read your email. It does sound like you could use some assistance. 

A bit about myself. I do perform IMEs for civilian cases but I am also employed by a company that is contracted by the VA to perform similar disability assessments. I will have to check with my employer to see if your case presents a conflict of interest."
<...>

Of, all the flipping luck!!!

I responded and explained further my situation.

Hopefully he responds soon.

That said, I need any advice possible on what I should do next.  I know this could be a blessing or this could be a curse, I don't know which...

Old Joe I would say Veterans are fine as long as the "benefit of doubt" does not go out the window. Most folks resort to an IME/IMO because the VA is scandalous, the VA breaks the law and goes against clear, crystal clear, regulations.  It is only with an IME/IMO that you can blow their hired docs BS out of the water.

The system is a completely adversarial nightmare, even though the law states differently. That is the way it is.  I don't agree with it, and I don't put up with that crap, just like most of us, Veterans and dependents, who fight for benefits and win, not because the VA finally gave in, but because the VA can't keep dodging the law.

As long as we, Veterans alike, keep fighting,we will be victorious, because the regulations and laws state when we are in the right.

Thanks for both of your replies broncovet and ArNG11.

I do still intend to get the IME/IMO just don't want to start jumping from one thing to the next or wait to long; done both in the past and gotten bit in the backside (for both).

Weird, I am  I.T. by trade tell people to be patient give it a chance.  What do I do, I start chomping at the bit.

If he doesn't respond by the end of the week I will send another email to follow up and see if he responses to that.  If not, then I guess I start looking again....  (ARGH!!!!)

A little proactive research in case this doctor doesn't pan out.

Has anybody heard of Garth S. Russell, MD in Columbia, Mo?

Either working for the VA as an IME or providing them for vets? 

Where he has his practice happens to be near the VA hospital in Columbia, Mo (shouldn't matter I know).

Well, that blows chunks.  Checked back with the doctor and he told me to read his last email and that it was a conflict of interest.

His last email stated that he needed to check.

Thank God I asked now and didn't wait any longer.

Now to the next doctor...

Hope I can find one soon.

Started the balling rolling with the new Dr.  Hopefully this one works out.

Just need to set up an examination date and get it done.

Sent his secretary the BDQs related to that items that needs to be rated so he has some idea what the VA will be looking for.

Dr. Garth Russell is a vet and his bio does contain some promising things:

" Dr. Russell is board certified by the American Association of Evaluating Physicians and the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. He is a founding member of the North American Spine Society and the Missouri State Orthopaedic Association and is also a member of numerous other associations including the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Orthopaedic Association, American Academy of Disability Evaluating Physicians, Clinical Orthopaedic Society, and the American Medical Association. From 1967-1976, Dr. Russell served as the Chairman of the Missouri State Crippled Children’s Commission. He was a member of the Board and President of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Also, from 1988-1994, he served as Chairman of the Council of Clinical Policies and Standards for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Dr. Russell was also the President of the Board of Trustees at Columbia Regional Hospital from 1978-1993. "

From SEAK:

" Experience:
35 years performing IMEs
2,000 IMEs performed

IME Certification: CEDIR
IME Training: 35 yrs. Orthopaedic practice with subspecialty in spine "

We will see...

Well, so far it looks like there might be some light at the end of the tunnel, just hope it isn't another semi...

The secretary for several doctors at Columbia Orthopedic Group (Columbia, Mo) told me that one of their doctors was going to review my records and get back with me to see if there was anything they could do.   If they could they would also tell me how much it would cost.

Her biggest question was about some of the information I had left them.  I gave them a flash drive full of stuff, some of it not directly related to my medical records but reference material from my researching.  I didn't have time between when they said give them the information and when I delivered it to clean up the flash drive.

Also, told them I would put a plug in for them because trying to find doctors to do IMEs and/or IMOs can be rough for vets.

If they work out and do it then I would say that we (VETS) have a resource for orthopedic issues we can use.

One thing that I did take as a positive is that the secretary said she saw cases from Postal Workers that like us seem to get the shaft from the USPS in that they USPS tries to wriggle out of any responsibilities it might have for its employees.

I hope this means I have a good chance of getting the IME and IMO from them.

Right now I am just scared stiff that yet again I am going to get turned away.

The next closest SNEAK qualified examiner for my claim is in St. Louis.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use