VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

V.a Regional Office Visit

Cavman

Question

When I go to just drop off an envelope of evidence and have to sit for an hour while watching people sit there and nod or get up to go piss and forget to use their cane something is wrong. Something is also wrong when I look down the hall in the offices and see newspapers being read the whole time I`m there. Something is also wrong when I have my evidence so well put together with the file number on every piece and I can`t make the lunch fill in counter person understand what I am doing there. God only knows if the envelope will ever find its way to my file. Kind of goes along with the pattern of every government office.

Cavman

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

12 answers to this question

Guest HolliGreen

Cavman. I could not agree with you more. When I worked (at a federal job on a local federal institution) there was a gal who actually slept at her desk...and in such an inventive way: she would drop her head to her chest. She eventually moved on to a position at the local V.A. Clinic !!! Frontline position greeting patients, it is just too much.

• HadIt.com Elder

I suggest you never "just drop an envelope of evidence." Always, request that they time and date stamp it received and give you a copy. jmo

pr

When I go to just drop off an envelope of evidence and have to sit for an hour while watching people sit there and nod or get up to go piss and forget to use their cane something is wrong. Something is also wrong when I look down the hall in the offices and see newspapers being read the whole time I`m there. Something is also wrong when I have my evidence so well put together with the file number on every piece and I can`t make the lunch fill in counter person understand what I am doing there. God only knows if the envelope will ever find its way to my file. Kind of goes along with the pattern of every government office.

Cavman

• HadIt.com Elder

Phil

I agree 100% with getting a date stamped copy of all evidence you give to the VA. Otherwise these goofballs will lose it going from the front desk to the back room. When I have any important evidence I drive the miles to the RO and get date stamped copies. The VA has lost every single piece of evidence I ever gave them at least once. They lose claims, evidence, forms you name it. The VA will even contest certified mail and squack about what was actually in the letter after signing for return receipt.

• HadIt.com Elder

Army1968,

I will tell you my little story, everytime I called to see my c- file the counselors always told me that it was in a place that would slow it down. Sure!

I finally got so fed up with all of that, I called and told one of the counselors by the name of Vince, that I would be there in one hour and that I would see my file.

When I arrived, the first lady said to me, " I told you that your file was with the rater and that you couldn't see your file, that it would slow it down".

I told her no problem with that one, Now tell Vince that I am here now to see my file.

Sure enough Vince went and got my file and was so kind that he was willing to give me 10 copies of anything that I wanted out of the file.

After about three trips of doing this, I innocently walked out with all of my private medical records that I had given them in 1978.

The Va. is so dumb that they never did catch on to what I was doing.

They figured that I didn't have a chance in H--- in winning anyway.

Shortly thereafter, then I wrote to the St. Louis Archives and acquired the lost psychiatric records that are new and material and never acquired by the Va.

Now, I have everything that I needed to beat them at their own game and this I hope to do very shortly with the AMC.

I would suggest that you take back everything that you have given the Va and get it date stamped.

Do not fall for their lame brain excuses as to why you cannot see your file.

Good luck for you have everything it takes to win this one!!

Always,

Josephine

Cavman,

You didn't just drop the envelope off without getting it date stamped did you?

Josephine

No maam and when I got home I emailed the VARO asking for verification by mail that they got everything I brought. I said in the email I wanted verification that it was put in my file.

Cavman

• HadIt.com Elder

My experience is that the WACO VARO included everything I mailed to them. I doubt that they read it but it was in the file. I think your best bet is meeting with a Councilor and having face to face hearings.

1968 Army- you could ask your RO vet rep to check the c file to make sure your evidence is in it- or ask for a complete copy of it- but at this point that will hold up the claim- and of course you can get an appointment to see it.

Did you send your VSO copies of what you sent them?

If so he most likely has a file of all this too as well as copies of 21-4138s in support of what you sent.(which is also proof of what you sent)

My former rep never sent any 4138s and none of my evidence was in his file on me. Then when I asked the RO rep to check to make sure they had my IMOs ,prior to my DRO review, he emailed me that they were definitely in the c file.

But then they apparently disappeared and have never been acknowledged or mentioned yet by the VARO.

I dont think you should worry too much- the PC screen there might only show any NOD that you filed-

but as my situation shows- strange things can happen with evidence.

I always send stuff by Priority mail and pay for the tracking slip. This way you can confirm by email at the USPS site when they got it at the VARO. Certifieds can be tracked too on line at USPS.

My experience with the Albuquerque, VARO was a little different. I had just completed the 6 wk PTSD in-house program, at the Denver VA. I wanted to give them the paperwork, especially the one from the Chief Doc who wrote that I was a danger to myself and more important to others. There was in all about 1/2 inch of paperwork, but this statement was repeated several times. Plus I was with one of their armed esccorts, the lady looked at my file, said I was lucky that my paperwork was still on the raters desk and took that folder from me and told me she would hand carry it to that rater, she was back in about 5 minutes. She told me the rater had done a quick read and I would have the results soon. Who knows maybe I screwed up someones coffee break.

I should note that after 6 years of running into one brick wall after another, and seeing my C- file for the first time, I seen where they had for years sending my denial letters to the wrong address and sometimes to the right address. It seem that most of denials went to the wrong address. That C-file had a stuff in there for other guys, it even showed where I owed the VA $2.10 for a book, from my college days, from 1970.

I should also note that while in Denver program I was granted a rating bump of 0% to 50% and that happened on the 23rd of Dec. 2001.( nice X-mas present). Anyway, to get back on track, that lady was right 2 weeks after that paperwork was turned in I was granted 100% T&P.

Oh yeah, on the way out of that building I stopped at the DAV and just kinda dropped off a copy to them. As I was leaving that office, my sh#@head of a rep told me I was real lucky to get pass him. A few months later, I moved back to Texas.

I know one thing for sure. the folks, here, at HADIT walked me all the way through the process. From becoming my own rep and just using the DAV as a paperboy. Too going into the PTSD program. At that time I had very little money, a wife, lots of bills, wondering day to day if I was going make it. Plus I was going into that program on my own dime. In fact I think that's about all I had in my pocket and needless to say my wife was scared sh##less. But people from all over, that I never expected came to her aid; even someone from this site sent her food and and a little money. Which has been passed on many times. One last thing on my third day, in that program, my wife was admitted into the Albuquerque VA for a serious stomach infection. The one thing I heard loud and clear from her and my Doc. don't leave the program. For once I Listened.

Thank You one and all

Larry Jones 100% PTSD T&P

• HadIt.com Elder

Just write the local VARO a letter and tell them you want to come in and look at your C-File. My VARO loses everything. The St. Petersburg RO gets thousands of pieces of mail every day. I would not assume they have your copies unless I could verify it.