VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question

Please, welcome new VET2VET podcast episode:

https://youtu.be/waV5t0HPtbM

Today we are joined by Thomas Wendel, DAV National area supervisor for West Cost Region.
Thomas E. Wendel served in the U. S. Marine Corps from 1983 until 1997.
Since 1999, Tom has worked assisting veterans in processing various entitlement claims on the local, state and federal levels; first in Clare County as a county service officer and then when he came to work for the Disabled American Veterans in 2000. In 2008 he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV Service Office in Detroit and later he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV National area for West Cost Region.
DAV is America’s largest, most effective veterans service organizations dedicated to the needs of those injured, ill or wounded in service. We have more than 1,300 Chapters in communities nationwide to help make sure veterans from all generations and their families get the benefits and support they deserve. Today, nearly 1.3 million veterans belong to DAV, and we encourage you to add your voice to the cause. Our programs and free services help all veterans get the health, disability and financial benefits they earned. Take advantage of our benefits claims assistance, medical transportation and employment resources. Your local DAV Chapter is a great way to connect with fellow veterans in your area.

★ JOIN US IN OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU AND OUR FELLOW VETERANS ★
▶ facebook.com/VETOVET2
▶ itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vet2vet/id1077206523?mt=2
▶ twitter.com/VETOVET2
▶ youtube.com/c/VETOVET2
▶ plus.google.com/u/0/+VETOVET2
▶ goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Iiqawbuzg7eviiyqm6xz7kju62m?t%3DVET2VET
▶ feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:198832065/sounds.rss
▶ soundcloud.com/vet2vet
▶ stitcher.com/s?fid=80842&refid=stpr

★ LIMITED LIABILITY CLAUSE ★

THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE VET2VET MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR ERRORS. CHANGES ARE PERIODICALLY ADDED TO THE INFORMATION HEREIN. VET2VET MAY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS AND/OR CHANGES OF THE CONTENT AT ANY TIME. ADVICE RECEIVED VIA VET2VET SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON FOR PERSONAL, MEDICAL, LEGAL OR FINANCIAL DECISIONS AND YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN APPROPRIATE PROFESSIONAL FOR SPECIFIC ADVICE TAILORED TO YOUR SITUATION.

IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF VET2VET, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE CONSULTING VET2VET.

Edited by VETOVET

Folks,  the long and short is you have to be your biggest advocate.

VSO's are a mechanism to help, but the veteran has to do the heaving lifting.

I personally would like for every veteran to attend a one day seminar before they even file a claim.

The seminar would give a veteran an inside look at the claim process.

Veterans would then better understand what their expectation and responsibility should be in the process.

Many claims are elongated because we don't understand the process and many mistakes are made thus forcing appeals.

VETERANS, be your best advocate.

"Nobody cares more about your claim than you do".

I'm seeking some assistance as well and I swear I've called everybody.  I'm filing the claim myself I guess and I want copies of my service treatment records to verify the info.  I submitted an sf180 as required and it now shows on ebenefits as a FOIA.  The estimated completion date...

Screenshot_2016-06-06-10-49-18.png

Did you submit the SF 180 to the VARO, or to where they directed you to on the SF 180?

Ma'am,

The VA operator told me to submit it to them directly because they had my records due to a previously denied claim.  I also sent a request to the NPRC I think it is.  I received fax confirmations but no one can find the papers I submitted.

A seminar would be a great idea. It took me a year to understand what was needed for a hopefully successful claim and some group training would have sped things up.

I'm glad I did it my way. The DAV had quickly filled out some forms for me in less than an hour and wanted to submit them right away. I hit the pause button to try and understand the process better. Looking back at what they did I would have gotten 10% with all other claims rejected because the forms don't make it easy to show secondary conditions.

I got 100% connecting the dots myself.

VSO's should have classes to help us do it ourselves if we wish.

Seabee said:

"The VA operator told me to submit it to them directly because they had my records due to a previously denied claim." That makes sense....if the claim was denied not that long ago.

"I also sent a request to the NPRC I think it is.  I received fax confirmations but no one can find the papers I submitted ."

I suggest that you go to www.va.gov, click on the Contact Us button ,then on Ask a question button and send them an IRIS inquiry, even an IRIS complaint would be better, and there is a pop down box for IRIS complaints.Tell them what you told us here.

Ask for an email reply because that way you have hard copy of what they say.

If you formally filed the SF 180 with NARA as well (www.archives.gov) they also have a status button I believe at that site.